Why no vigilance case against Achuthanandan’s son, asks courtDecember 15th, 2011 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Dec 15 (IANS) A division bench of the Kerala High Court Thursday asked the state government to explain why a case has not been registered by the vigilance department against V.A. Arun Kumar, son of former chief minister V.S. Achuthanandan, in an alleged land deal case.
The bench has asked the advocate general to report on Dec 22.
The land deal case in which Kumar is alleged to be involved started when controversial and now jailed ‘godman’ Swami Amritananthachaithanya alias Santosh Madhavan wrote to Chief Minister Oommen Chandy that in 2006 he had paid Rs.70 lakh to Kumar and Rs.10 lakh to a woman advocate so that sanction would be accorded to fill up around 200 acres of land in Kottayam district.
At that time Achuthanandan was chief minister of the state.
Chandy handed the letter to Revenue Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan, who also holds the Vigilance portfolio, and he asked the Vigilance department to probe the incident.
Last month, when the case came up before the Kerala High Court, the vigilance department said they have traced phone calls between Kumar and Madhavan and a woman advocate.
The court was told that they have taken statements from 23 people and eight documents have also been seized by the investigating officers.
A team of vigilance officials had met Madhavan at the central jail in the capital city and he stood by his complaint.
Kumar who earlier was questioned by the vigilance department is reported to have denied having any links with Madhavan.
Madhavan shot into fame a few years back after he claimed to be a self-professed spiritual guru and astrologer to the rich and mighty. He landed in trouble when a court here sentenced him to a 16 year jail sentence after he was found guilty of raping and sexually exploiting minor girls.
- Evidence links Achuthanandan's son with jailed 'godman' - Nov 29, 2011
- Finish probe in three months, Kerala court says - Aug 08, 2012
- Kerala University cancels PhD registration of Achuthanandan's son - Dec 13, 2011
- Kerala special prosecutor in Palmoil case resigns - Feb 16, 2012
- Chandy gives up vigilance portfolio after probe order - Aug 09, 2011
- I will deal with land transfer case: Achuthanandan - Jan 12, 2012
- Vigilance quizzes Achuthanandan in land transfer case - Jun 23, 2012
- Achuthanandan moves apex court against amnesty for ex-minister - Nov 01, 2011
- Achuthanandan offers to quit over land scam, party says no - Jan 13, 2012
- Positives outnumber negatives in 100 days: Chandy regime - Sep 12, 2011
- Kerala palm oil scam: Fresh probe ordered in Chandy's role - Aug 08, 2011
- Achuthanandan ordered Lok Ayukta probe to protect son: Chandy - Jul 15, 2011
- Setback to Achuthanandan in land grab case - Apr 12, 2012
- Law takes its own course, Chandy to Achuthanandan - Jun 17, 2011
- High court strikes down observations against Chandy - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: alias, arun kumar, astrologer, central jail, chief minister, division bench, jail sentence, kerala high court, kochi, lakh, minor girls, phone calls, radhakrishnan, revenue minister, sanction, spiritual guru, state government, swami, v s achuthanandan, vigilance