Why no proper legal aid to poor inmates, court asks Tihar jailSeptember 12th, 2008 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 12 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday summoned the Inspector General (IG) of the Tihar prison for not providing proper legal help to poor inmates.Justice Kailash Gambhir asked the IG of Tihar prison to appear in person on Sep 26 and explain why poor inmates were not given proper legal assistance if they wanted to file an appeal in their case.
The court was hearing an appeal filed by an inmate who challenged his conviction in narcotics case and his sentence of ten years’ imprisonment by a city court.
The inmate could not file an appeal because he did not have the money to consult a lawyer. He was only able to file an appeal after 1190 days of his conviction.
The court expressed displeasure over the sorry state of affairs of the poor inmates who could not challenge their conviction in the absence of proper legal aid.
- Even a prisoner has right to live: High court - May 24, 2010
- Delhi government pulled up for parole plea disposal delays - Nov 10, 2009
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Delhi government pulled up for discrimination in parole - Nov 20, 2009
- Court notice to Delhi government, Tihar jail over custodial death - May 23, 2012
- Parole pleas cleared, only 10 pending, Delhi court told - Dec 21, 2009
- Don't doubt cops who appear as witnesses, courts told - Jul 26, 2010
- Salman told to appear in court in poaching case - Aug 09, 2011
- Chhattisgarh HC permits EU team to witness proceedings on Sen's appeal - Jan 24, 2011
- Court seeks government response on Pak national's release - May 31, 2011
- Court acquits man of rape charge, says victim unreliable - Jun 11, 2010
- Court notice on plea seeking rules for ill Tihar inmates - Aug 13, 2012
- Court sets aside divorce granted to man - Apr 11, 2011
- Court orders better facilities for mentally ill prisoners - Mar 09, 2011
- Two suspended, 200 more CCTV cameras in Tihar after custody death - May 17, 2010