Why give kids money, not uniforms, rights panel asks MCDOctober 15th, 2011 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 15 (IANS) A panel for child rights has issued a notice to the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) on a complaint against a proposal to distribute money for uniforms and bags by councillors in primary schools ahead of the Diwali festival.
Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR) member Shashank Shekhar Friday said: “The commission fails to understand as to why these distributions are being made through councillors and the existing system of distribution of such articles to the children has been discontinued.”
“The proposed way of distribution will not only adversely affect the psychology of the children but also is not in the best interest of the children,” Shekhar said on a petition filed by NGO Social Jurist.
The MCD has decided to pay Rs.500 each to students of Class 1-5 and Rs.310 each to students of nursery for buying two sets of uniforms, a jersey, a pair of shoes and two pairs of socks.
With MCD elections round the corner, both the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress councillors decided to distribute money personally to students for purchasing winter uniforms.
The commission asked the agency to take urgent steps by Oct 19 regarding the issue and inform it about the reason for deviating from the prevailing system and adopting a system which was not child-friendly.
- Release nursery admission guidelines, Delhi government told - Nov 22, 2010
- Delhi schools asked to furnish admission process details - Nov 25, 2010
- Delhi asked to probe BJP's school uniforms distribution - Oct 28, 2011
- Why unsafe Delhi schools not demolished, asks rights body - Dec 30, 2010
- Notice issued over nursery admission guidelines - Dec 17, 2010
- How a 'rich' school tagged poor students - Aug 14, 2011
- Over 10,000 violations of Right to Education in Delhi - Dec 21, 2010
- MCD schools see rise in nursery students - Jan 14, 2012
- Delhi BJP worker killed, party councillor arrested (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Extend scope of RTE till 18 years: NGO - Jun 12, 2011
- School teachers for disabled: Court questions selection board - Jul 11, 2011
- Court notice to Delhi government on pre-school admissions - Nov 02, 2011
- 'Right to education based on Gandhian philosophy' - Jan 31, 2011
- Child rights commission takes up rehabilitation of orphans - Nov 19, 2010
- Fill vacant seats for poor students in summer vacations: Court - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: best interest, councillors, delhi commission, distributions, diwali, diwali festival, existing system, jurist, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, New Delhi, ngo, petition, proposal, psychology, shekhar, socks, two pairs, urgent steps, winter uniforms