Why do people salivate at objects of desire?September 15th, 2011 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 15 (IANS) Why do people practically salivate when they desire high-end luxury items like a sports car or even money?
“One possibility is… that all objects of desire, whether biological or non-biological, activate the same general reward system in the brain,” writes author David Gal of Northwestern University.
Gal measured salivation by having participants put cotton dental rolls in their mouths while they gazed at pictures of money. He later weighed the rolls to measure the amount of saliva, the Journal of Consumer Research reports.
Before they viewed money, however, Gal prepared the participants to feel powerful or powerless, according to a Northwestern statement.
“This suggests that people salivate to non-food items when those items are desired to fulfil a highly active goal,” Gal writes.
Gal wondered whether men would salivate to high-end sports cars.
In this case, he induced some of the men to have a “mating goal,” because prior research shows men who want to impress women purchase luxury goods.
Gal showed the men photographs of attractive women and asked them to choose one they would like to date. He asked the other group of men to ponder a visit to the barber.
The men with the active mating goal salivated more at images of high-end sports cars than the men who had been prompted to imagine getting a haircut.
- Designer items tempt us to spend lavishly - Dec 15, 2010
- AB Group to venture into luxury car retailing - Jan 20, 2011
- Materialistic people ridden with anxiety - Apr 10, 2012
- How mating affects people's decisions about spending and giving - Jan 02, 2010
- Mercedes-Benz sells 90 C-class cars' to Carzonrent - Jul 18, 2011
- Jaguar-Land Rover eyes booming China market - Jul 06, 2012
- Pretty things lead to budget-busting spending spree - Dec 15, 2010
- Consumers willing to pay more in relaxed state - Jul 29, 2011
- Saif Ali Khan questioned in car import case - Sep 08, 2012
- Mate guarding 'more common in arranged marriages' - Feb 02, 2011
- Railways' tourism arm to run luxury train: Apex court (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Hero Cycles forays into high-end bicycles - Feb 20, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki launches premium sedan Kizashi - Feb 02, 2011
- Porsche Design plans store in Mumbai - Jan 22, 2011
- Chandigarh car number goes for whopping Rs.26 lakh! - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: brain, dental rolls, food items, haircut, images, journal of consumer research, luxury goods, luxury items, money, mouths, northwestern university, objects of desire, participants, photographs of attractive women, prior research, reward system, saliva, sports car, sports cars