Who became ‘Crorepati’? Star Plus, Airtel told to shell out Rs.10 mnSeptember 12th, 2008 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 12 (IANS) A consumer commission has imposed a fine of Rs.10 million on mobile service providers Airtel and entertainment TV channel Star Plus for “unfair trade practice” during the game show “Kaun Banega Crorepati”.Headed by Justice M.B. Shah, the National Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission, said that both companies violated the consumer protection act “in conducting the ‘Har Seat Hot Seat’ contest, which was a part of the show ‘Kaun Banega Crorepati’, and thereby adopted an unfair trade practice.”
“Star Plus and the Bharti Airtel Ltd are directed to pay jointly damages of Rs.10 million. They are hereby directed to deposit the said sum of Rs.10 million with the registrar of this commission, who in turn, shall deposit the same to the credit of the Consumer Welfare Fund,” Justice Shah observed Thursday.
The commission observed that on the basis of the admitted fact that Bharti Airtel received 58 million SMS text messages, it goes without saying that this practice resulted in an increase in their business.
Further, normal charge of the 58 million SMSs would have fetched only a maximum of Rs.58 million. As against this, they received Rs.139.2 million from SMS messages, the commission observed.
The participants who sent the answer using Airtel’s SMS service, were required to pay Rs.2.40 per message, which was higher than the normal charges.
The commission further said: “the excess revenue (Rs.139.2 million minus Rs.58 million) comes to Rs.81.2 million. Out of this, they distributed prizes amounting to Rs.10.4 million. Still, the surplus revenue comes Rs.70.8 million.”
The commission praised the Society of Catalysts, a non-government organisation for filing the complaint and thus highlighting the unfair trade practice.
- Bihar's Sushil Kumar first to win Rs.5 crore on KBC-5 - Oct 25, 2011
- 'KBC 5' nears end, Big B emotional - Nov 11, 2011
- Airtel ranked best operator by Nigerian telecom regulator - May 11, 2012
- 'Crorepati' woman to use money on kids' 'good education' - Nov 21, 2010
- Sameer Nair, Siddhartha Basu to spin magic again? - Jun 02, 2010
- Bharti Airtel quarterly revenue rises by 17 percent - Feb 08, 2012
- Airtel has unfair advantage, say Dhaka operators - Apr 10, 2011
- Punctual Big B says 'sorry' for coming late - Aug 22, 2012
- About 100,000 people dialled in to speak to Aamir (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Over five mn people participate in 'KBC 4' auditions - Sep 10, 2010
- Bharti Airtel quarterly net income down 28 percent (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Idea Cellular biggest gainer of mobile number portability - May 06, 2012
- Bharti Airtel Q1 net profit down 37 percent (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Indian reality TV is Bollywood show all the way! - Feb 05, 2011
- Bharti Airtel Q1 net profit declines 37 percent - Aug 08, 2012