White House quiet over raid in SyriaOctober 28th, 2008 - 1:57 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 28 (DPA) The White House refused to comment Monday on reports of a deadly US military strike in Syria near the border with Iraq that has outraged Damascus and other Arab countries.”I’m not going to comment on it at all,” White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said.
The Syrian government and Arab leaders in the region have expressed anger over the purported US helicopter raid Sunday targeting militants in the town of Abu Kamal.
The Syrian government says civilians, including children, were among the eight dead.
The US has accused Syria of failing to halt the flow of Al Qaeda-linked and other militants into Iraq since the 2003 invasion.
US State Department spokesman Sean McCormack confirmed the Syrian Foreign Ministry summoned the US charge d’affaires at the embassy in Damascus, Maura Connelly, “to raise with her these reports of activities in Abu Kamal”.
The US withdrew its ambassador from Syria in 2005.
McCormack said the number of militants entering Iraq through Syria has declined over the years.
“That isn’t to say that there aren’t continuing issues there, in terms of people coming over the border,” he said.
The Syrian government strongly condemned the raid.
“We consider this an act of criminal and terrorist aggression,” Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem said.
- Arab League adopts sanctions against Syria - Nov 28, 2011
- US accused of involvement in Syria violence: Arab League - Nov 08, 2011
- Syria's Assad unveils new government - Jun 23, 2012
- Iran stresses support to Syria - Aug 27, 2012
- Significant devastation in Syria's Homs: UN official - Mar 09, 2012
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- Thousands of Syrians rally in support of Assad - Nov 19, 2011
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Morocco,UAE embassies in Syria attacked - Nov 17, 2011
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- Annan asks UNSC to speak in one voice over Syria - Mar 17, 2012
- Russia condemns attacks on journalists in Syria - Aug 15, 2012
- Syria releases over 900 protesters - Dec 01, 2011
- Syria ready for 'synchronized pullout' : Russia - Jun 23, 2012
- Syria suspended from Arab League - Nov 13, 2011