Whistleblower hounded by Uttar Pradesh ministerSeptember 15th, 2011 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 15 (IANS) A whistleblower, who complained to the Uttar Pradesh Lokayukta against alleged land grabbing by Labour Minister Badshah Singh, said Thursday that he was being hounded by the politician’s kin.
Akhilesh Kumar, a resident of Mahoba district, told IANS by phone: “Badshah Singh’s kin Shyam Singh and Rituraj Singh threatened to eliminate me if I do not withdraw my complaint.”
The minister was, however, not available for comment. While his mobile phone remained switched off, the staff at his residence as well as office said: “Mantri-ji is out of station.”
Akhilesh Kumar said the threats came soon after Lokayukta N.K. Mehrotra took cognizance of his complaint about the alleged land grabbing by the minister.
The whistleblower, who claimed to have gone into hiding, said: “As soon as the Lokayukta issued notice to the minister, urging him to submit a response to the complaint by Sep 23, I started receiving threatening phone calls from relatives of the minister.”
On receiving the threats, Akhilesh Kumar rushed to the Lokayukta who promptly issued a directive to the state government to give him security.
“I personally told the state cabinet secretary as well as the Mahoba superintendent of police to provide security to the complainant,” said Mehrotra.
Akhilesh Kumar claimed 10 days have passed since the Lokayukta’s directive to officials but no security has been given to him.
His complaint alleged that Badshah Singh, a legislator of the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party from Maudaha constituency, had gone on a land grabbing spree in Kharela town in Mahoba district where he built a school, a college as well as a commercial complex on government land.
“All the property was amassed by him after he was sworn-in as a minister in the Mayawati government in May 2007,” the complaint added.
- Former BSP minister's supporters threaten UP Lokayukta - May 07, 2012
- Akhilesh against bringing chief minister's post under Lokayukta - Apr 26, 2012
- Akhilesh orders probe against former UP power minister - Jun 02, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh minister resigns after Lokayukta's rap - Aug 17, 2011
- Minister withdraws plea against Lokayukta - Sep 10, 2011
- Krishna moves apex court against Lokayukta proceedings - Jan 24, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh Lok Ayukta recommends removal of 'corrupt' minister - Aug 16, 2011
- Row over transfer of Karnataka top cop probing graft - Nov 12, 2011
- Lokayukta wants another Uttar Pradesh minister to go - Oct 04, 2011
- Hearing of plea against Yeddyurappa to resume Feb 14 - Feb 04, 2011
- Bengal ex-Lokayukta gets threat calls for criticising Mamata - Aug 17, 2012
- Sack minister indicted by Lok Ayukta, Congress tells Mayawati - Nov 29, 2011
- Yeddyurappa's graft probe picks up pace - Aug 22, 2011
- Ready to quit if phone-tapping charges proved: Yeddyurappa (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Mayawati's key confidante under Lokayukta's scanner - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: badshah, cabinet secretary, cognizance, commercial complex, complainant, constituency, government land, ji, labour minister, legislator, lokayukta, mehrotra, mobile phone, politician, relatives, spree, state cabinet, state government, superintendent, threatening phone calls