While declaring assets, we also gave away account details: CJIJanuary 31st, 2010 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 31 (IANS) In their eagerness to disclose their assets last year, Supreme Court judges also ended up mentioning their bank account details on the court’s website, setting themselves as targets for hackers, Chief Justice of India (CJI) K.G. Balakrishnan revealed Sunday.
“When the Supreme Court judges declared their assets on the website, many of them also cited their account numbers as well,” the chief justice recalled in his address at the launch of cyber law enforcement programme here.
The folly was realised a few days later when some citizens wrote back to them, pointing out the possibilities of the misuse of the bank account numbers by unscrupulous elements, he added.
“After few days I got a letter from someone suggesting me that I should immediately remove the account number of judges from the website or the hackers will do their work,” Balakrishnan said, adding it was only then they became aware “how a small mistake of ours could land us in trouble”.
The chief justice said the expanding reach of computers and the internet has made it easier for people to keep in touch across long distances and collaborate for purposes related to business, education and culture, among others.
“The enabled free flow of information across borders, however, also gives rise to a worryingly high incidence of irresponsible behaviour. Any technology is capable of beneficial uses as well as misuse. It is the job of the legal system and regulatory agencies to keep pace with the same and ensure that newer technologies do not become tools of exploitation and harassment,” he said.
- Refer allegations against Balakrishnan to apex court, president urged - Apr 05, 2011
- Can't disclose my wealth: Balakrishnan - Apr 18, 2011
- Apex court seeks report on plaint against Balakrishnan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Moily says charge against ex-CJI kin needs verification - Dec 28, 2010
- Beware of attack tool kits from malicious websites: Symantec - Jan 25, 2011
- Government has right to restrict websites circulating porn: Balakrishnan - May 08, 2010
- Remove Balakrishnan as NHRC chief: Prashant Bhushan - Dec 28, 2010
- Apex court poser on plea against rights panel chief (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Urgent need to ban porn websites: Chief Justice of India - Jan 31, 2010
- Chief Justice of India office in RTI ambit: high court (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2010
- Delhi High Court judges to declare assets next week - Jan 12, 2010
- Delhi High Court putting CJI in RTI ambit will invite apex court scrutiny - Jan 12, 2010
- Tax sleuths make progress in probe against Balakrishnan's kin - Jan 12, 2011
- Apex court judges declare assets, CJI's around Rs.18 lakh (Lead) - Nov 02, 2009
- Delhi High Court judges to declare assets - Feb 05, 2010