Where is Fasih Mahmood, apex court asks (Lead)June 6th, 2012 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 6 (IANS) The central government told the Supreme Court Wednesday that it had never taken into custody Fasih Mahmood, an engineer from Bihar who went missing in Saudi Arabia, and was trying to ascertain his whereabouts.
The centre told an apex court bench of Justice K.S. Radhakrishnan and Justice J.S. Khehar that it was in contact with the Saudi authorities to find out Fasih Mahmood’s whereabouts.
Additional Solicitor General Gourab Banerjee, appearing for the home and external affairs ministries, told the court that the external affairs ministry will speak to the Saudi Arabian ambassador in New Delhi, and the Indian ambassador in Riyadh will take up the matter with the Saudi authorities.
On this, the court asked: “Where is Fasih Mahmood?”
It further said: “The case is very serious. We need to know where he is.”
Banerjee told the court that Interpol had already issued a red-corner look-out notice for Fasih Mahmood. He said that Fasih Mahmood could be in the custody of the Saudi police.
The ASG told the court that normally it was difficult for the Indian government to interact with its Saudi counterparts, as they took time in responding on such matters.
Counsel Naushad Ahmed Khan, appearing for the petitioner Nikhat Parveen, Fasih Mahmood’s wife, told the court that Mahmood was in the custody of police in India and the government started reacting to the situation only after the intervention of the apex court.
At this, the court observed that since the central government has said that Fasih Mahmood was not in its custody, it will wait for further information from the government when the matter next comes up for hearing June 11.
Fasih Mahmood, employed as engineer in Saudi Arabia, was allegedly picked up by intelligence agencies from Al Jubal May 13.
The 35-year-old hails from Barh Saaila village in Darbhanga district of Bihar, about 200 km from Patna. His father, Firoz Ahmad, is in-charge of the Benipatti primary health centre in Madhubani district. His mother is a school teacher in Darbhanga.
- Where is Fasih Mahmood, apex court asks - Jun 06, 2012
- Saudi authorities mum on Fasih Mahmood, SC told - Jun 11, 2012
- Bihar engineer in Saudi custody: Government to SC (Second Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Court gives government time in missing engineer case (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Apex court issues notice on a missing Bihar engineer - May 30, 2012
- Apex court grants time to centre on missing engineer case - Jun 01, 2012
- Apex court issues notice on missing Bihar engineer (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Bihar engineer in Saudi custody: Government to SC (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Family shocked at Bihar engineer's arrest on terror charges - May 21, 2012
- Terror suspect engineer's wife seeks fast track trial - Jul 01, 2012
- Missing engineer's parents to stage hunger strike - May 24, 2012
- Missing engineer's mother asks PM to help trace son - Jun 18, 2012
- Protest in Bihar against arrest of terror suspects - May 30, 2012
- Missing engineer's wife questions Nitish Kumar's silence - Jun 26, 2012
- Fasih Mehmood not in India's custody: Chidambaram - May 31, 2012
Tags: ahmed khan, apex, apex court, asg, bihar, central government, court bench, external affairs ministry, firoz, indian ambassador, indian government, intelligence agencies, jubal, parveen, petitioner, s radhakrishnan, saudi arabia, saudi arabian, saudi authorities, solicitor general