When Laxman got out in a bizarre mannerJuly 9th, 2011 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
Roseau (Dominica), July 9 (IANS) V.V.S. Laxman was dismissed in a freak manner by a harmless leg-break of Shivnarine Chanderpaul on the third day of the final Test between India and the West Indies here when he, having scored his third consecutive fifty of the series, looked set for a big score.
Chanderpaul, once a part-time leg-spinner, has not bowled in a Test for four years but skipper Darren Sammy had to bowl him as he had only three bowlers at hand with paceman Ravi Rampaul ill and off the field.
Chanderpaul kept pitching his legbreaks outside the off stump and Laxman kept leaving them alone. In his second over, the West Indian pitched again wide off the stumps and Laxman let it go to wicketkeeper Carlton Baugh.
Trying to balance himself, Laxman lifted his right heel a fraction off the ground and an alert Baugh quickly whipped off the bails. Third umpire Joel Wilson adjudged the Indian stumped and out.
Some felt the dismissal was debatable since the ball was deemed dead as the batsman left the ball alone and it rested in the wicketkeeper’s gloves. Though Laxman’s heel went up after the ball was still in the hands of the wicketkeeper, there was an element of doubt on the time lapse between the collection of the ball and Laxman lifting his heel.
However, former ICC Panel umpire from India, Krishna Hariharan had little doubt that Laxman was adjudged out correctly.
“Laxman was out, there was no doubt,” Hariharan said.
Interestingly, Laxman was Chanderpaul’s ninth wicket in record 133 Test appearances and the West Indian was overjoyed.
- Windies facing tall order as India build lead - Jul 09, 2011
- Wade and Starc rally Australia after Shillingford strikes - Apr 24, 2012
- Ishant shines on rain-hit second day, Harbhajan gets 400th Test scalp (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2011
- Chanderpaul leads defiant West Indies to a draw - Jul 11, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, day three, third Test - Jul 09, 2011
- Windies keeper Baugh making most of second chance - Nov 09, 2011
- West Indies struggling at 128 for five (Lunch report) - Jul 08, 2011
- India opt to bowl against Windies in third Test - Jul 06, 2011
- Chanderpaul's 23rd ton keeps Windies fighting (Lunch report) - Jul 11, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. West Indies, third Test, day two - Jul 07, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs. West Indies, third Test, day one - Jul 07, 2011
- West Indies battling to save match, series - Nov 16, 2011
- Chanderpaul rallies Windies but Lyon triggers late slide - Apr 18, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. West Indies, third Test, day two - Jul 08, 2011
- Bad light, Bravo earn battling Windies draw against India (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
Tags: batsman, bowlers, chanderpaul, element of doubt, final test, hariharan, joel wilson, krishna, no doubt, ravi rampaul, spinner, stumps, test appearances, third day, time lapse, umpire, v v s laxman, west indies, wicket, wicketkeeper