What is the secret of charismatic leadership?July 17th, 2011 - 4:22 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, July 17 (IANS) The secret of charismatic leadership may lie in what seemingly looks like magical thinking, a process requiring hours of effort and polishing.
Researchers at Columbia Business School (CBS) wanted to explore why some managers are hailed as charismatic, visionary leaders, reports the Journal of Management.
A well-known example is Steve Jobs. His mystique as a charismatic visionary has been earned in part by his spellbinding presentations of Apple products, according to a CBS statement.
Would audiences be as wowed by his informal, spontaneous pitches if they observed the 10 hours of practice Jobs commits to every 10 minute pitch? Would knowing his method make him seem less magical?
Research conducted by professors Michael Morris, Chavkin-Chang and Maia Young from the CBS and others suggest that charisma is sometimes an illusion.
While managers can establish a reputation as a transformational, charismatic leader in a number of valid ways, they can also gain the mystique by veiling how they accomplish what they do, like a stage magician.
“Winning in business and political endeavours comes not only from performing well, but also from managing the interpretations that others make of your performance,” said Morris.
Hence, the research findings suggest that firms should probe more deeply when recruiting executives on the basis of charisma.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Charismatic leadership can be learned, measured: Study - Feb 09, 2011
- Magic can predict future, spread social messages: Indian magician (With Image) - Jun 10, 2011
- 250 Indian magicians to show off their skills in capital - Jun 22, 2011
- Brit woman gives birth to own cousin after becoming surrogate for aunt - Apr 07, 2011
- Charismatic leadership can be learned - Feb 09, 2011
- Indian magicians blow my mind: American illusionist - Jul 27, 2010
- Autistic people 'more likely to be taken in by magic tricks, illusions' - Oct 21, 2010
- Franz Harary's magic coming soon at Kingdom of Dreams? - Dec 14, 2010
- Indian wins magicians' 'Oscar' - Jun 04, 2011
- Himachal governor enjoys magic show - Jun 19, 2011
- Illusion of control bolsters a sense of luck - Sep 12, 2011
- Flower-Strauss partnership key to England's success: Morris - Aug 08, 2011
- Kerala to host first festival of female magicians - May 24, 2010
- Pietersen asked to be careful about his tweets - Dec 11, 2010
- Charlie Sheen receives 74,040 applications for internship - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: apple products, asian news, charisma, charismatic leader, charismatic leadership, columbia business school, endeavours, indo, journal of management, july 17, magical thinking, maia, mystique, pitches, professors, research findings, stage magician, steve jobs, visionary leaders, vm