What downturn? 97 apply to run news channelsFebruary 26th, 2009 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 26 (IANS) The economic downturn doesn’t seem to have dampened the enthusiasm of India’s media entrepreneurs as applications of 97 private satellite TV news channels are being scrutinised by the information and broadcasting industry.
“As on date, applications of 97 private satellite news and current affairs TV channels and 85 private satellite non news and current affairs TV channels are at various stages of scrutiny,” Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Anand Sharma told the Rajya Sabha Thursday.
“These applications are being processed in accordance with the existing uplinking and downlinking guidelines,” Sharma said in response to a question in parliament’s upper house.
The total number of news and current affairs TV channels in the country is 215 and the number of non-news and current affairs TV channels is 233, Sharma informed.
When asked about the contentious code for the electronic media, Sharma also reiterated that any decision on content regulation would be taken up for finalisation only after the widest possible consultations with all concerned stakeholders and eliciting different points of view on the proposed changes.
No timeframe has been fixed for the same, he said.
- Government amends rules to toughen entry for TV channels - Oct 07, 2011
- Broadcasters will be consulted on new TV guidelines: Soni - Oct 10, 2011
- Renewal of TV licences: Self-regulatory bodies to be consulted - Dec 09, 2011
- FDI limit hike proposed in broadcasting sector - Aug 09, 2011
- Cabinet approves expansion of private radio service - Jul 07, 2011
- 143 TV channels want to enter Indian market - Aug 04, 2009
- Now, track applications for TV channels online - Jan 24, 2010
- TRAI asked to look into number of TV channels: Soni - Dec 07, 2009
- Cabinet approves expansion of private radio service (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Government to form watchdog to monitor TV content - Mar 15, 2011
- India clears 20 FDI proposals worth $373 million - Jan 10, 2012
- Govt. to constitute mechanism to monitor content on television - Mar 15, 2011
- India to help Afghanistan in expanding media network - Aug 01, 2011
- Tougher criteria on the way for starting new TV channel - Oct 09, 2009
- TRAI proposes 74 percent foreign investment in DTH - Jun 30, 2010