Wet weekend for Bangalore after Friday night delugeApril 23rd, 2011 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, April 23 (IANS) A majority of Bangalore residents would be holed up at their homes this weekend as heavy rains are forecast on top on the battering the city received Friday night.
Hundreds of people were stranded across the city late Friday as it poured heavily, leading to uprooted trees at 16 places and incidents of waterlogging around 60 areas.
The Met department recorded 103.7mm rain in 24 hours till 8 a.m. Saturday, over 80 mm of it in a few hours late Friday.
This is the second highest rainfall in a day in the last 10 years. The city had received 108.6mm rain on April 19, 2001.
“Trees were uprooted at 16 places and around 60 localities were badly hit by the rain,” Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (Greater Bangalore City Corporation) Commissioner Siddaiah (one name only) told reporters after a round of the city Saturday.
The popular ‘Gali Anajaneswamy’ temple, dedicated to monkey god Hanuman or Anjaneya in west Bangalore, was indundated with both rain water and sewage as it is located near where two major open drains join together.
Residents of several slums across the city were severely affected as rain water entered their shanties.
The Met department forecast that the city would receive heavy rains Saturday and Sunday also, particularly in the evening hours.
- Bangalore fast tracks rain harvesting after Friday deluge - Apr 25, 2011
- Karnataka suspense enters second week, people suffer - May 22, 2011
- Opt for eco-friendly Ganesh idols, Bangaloreans urged - Sep 08, 2010
- Save water or face connection cut, Bangaloreans told - Apr 20, 2011
- Congress corporator hacked to death in Bangalore - Oct 01, 2011
- Garbage-free Bangalore by Monday, promise authorities - Sep 02, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Bangalore; one killed as tree falls - Aug 21, 2010
- Bangalore civic body caught in Rs.15 bn scandal - Dec 04, 2011
- Tight security in Bangalore for Independence Day - Aug 14, 2011
- Bangalore administration urged to involve people - Sep 05, 2012
- Cool day in Delhi, more rains expected Saturday - Jul 08, 2011
- Karnataka to fund three rail projects - Jul 06, 2012
- JD-S corporator shot dead in Bangalore - Jan 16, 2011
- Cloudy day in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Mercury dips in Delhi, rains expected (Lead) - Jun 18, 2011
Tags: 6mm, 7mm, anjaneya, bangalore, deluge, drains, evening hours, gali, god hanuman, heavy rains, highest rainfall in a day, monkey god, rain water, rainfall, saturday and sunday, sewage, shanties, slums, waterlogging, wet weekend