West’s blunders led to Georgia crisis: SchroederSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 11:42 am ICT by IANS
Berlin, Sep 2 (DPA) Gerhard Schroeder, the former German chancellor, has accused the West of major blunders in its dealings with Russia and said these had led to the crisis with Georgia.In remarks during a speech in Berlin Monday, he contended it had been a blunder for the US to train Georgia’s military and establish anti-missile defences in Poland and the Czech Republic.
Schroeder said it had also been an error for Western nations to recognise Kosovo as independent.
“These policies must have seemed constricting to Russia,” he said, adding that the Georgian attack on South Ossetia had crossed “more red lines” for Moscow that led the Russians to counteract.
Schroeder said the only way back to peace and stability in Europe was further dialogue with Moscow.
He suggested the European Union should act as mediator because, unlike the US, it had no geo-political interests in the Caucasus.
- South Ossetia to take Georgia's currency out of circulation - Dec 21, 2010
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Former German chancellor Schroeder sees Saakashvili as 'gambler' - Aug 16, 2008
- 65 years on, Germans find new respect for Russia - May 09, 2010
- Moscow says arrest of alleged Russian spies in Georgia part of "anti-Russian psychosis" - Nov 05, 2010
- South Ossetia to discuss Georgia's peace proposal in Geneva - Dec 09, 2010
- Medvedev praises Sarkozy's role in South Ossetia ceasefire - Aug 08, 2009
- Russian ex-army officer jailed for spying - Dec 08, 2011
- 'Georgia recruiting refugees as sabotage activists' - Aug 28, 2010
- Georgia sends peace proposals for Abkhazia and South Ossetia - Dec 08, 2010
- Georgia tells citizens travelling to Russia 'unsafe' - Jun 11, 2011
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- Russia threatens to stop missile defence cooperation with US - Oct 06, 2011
- Germany, India steadfast partners: Ambassador-designate - May 15, 2012