Westinghouse signs preliminary deal for India nuke plantJune 14th, 2012 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 13 (IANS) US-based power firm Westinghouse Electric Co. has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd. aimed at the future construction of a nuclear power plant in Gujarat state.
The announcement of the early works agreement was made by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Wednesday at the opening session of the annual India-US strategic dialogue she is co-chairing with Indian External Affairs S.M. Krishna.
While differences still remained over India’s nuclear liability law, the MoU represented significant progress toward the realisation of the landmark 2008 India-US civil nuclear agreement, she said.
Westinghouse said it would be negotiating an agreement for preliminary licensing and site development work for plants at the Mithivirdi site in Gujarat calling it an important step toward keeping the project moving forward.
India has reserved two sites for US power companies to set up nuclear power plants under the nuclear deal. But US suppliers have been reluctant to come forward because of concerns over India’s tough nuclear liability law.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Breakthrough on n-deal boosts India-US ties - Jun 14, 2012
- Perceptions differ on n-law, Iran sanctions - Jun 15, 2012
- US wants India to get nuclear liability law vetted by IAEA - Sep 30, 2011
- India, US closer than ever: Indian envoy - Jul 03, 2012
- N-deal: India to provide US firms level playing field - Feb 07, 2012
- India, US reprocessing deal opens n-power market to US (Lead, with Image) - Jul 31, 2010
- US fears Indian nuclear liability law may deter foreign suppliers - Sep 07, 2010
- India, US to iron out n-liability irritants - Dec 10, 2011
- India will restore investor confidence, Krishna tells US - Jun 13, 2012
- India assures level playing field to foreign educational institutions - Oct 14, 2011
- US looks to India for changes in liability law - Sep 08, 2010
- US asks India to modify nuclear liability regime - Sep 27, 2011
- Manmohan to meet Obama amid N-liability row (Roundup) - Nov 17, 2011
- US confident of resolving 'irritants' before Obama visit - Sep 28, 2010
- US sees 'great opportunity' in boosting India ties - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: arun kumar, external affairs, future construction, gujarat state, hillary clinton, india ltd, krishna, landmark, liability law, memorandum of understanding, mou, nuclear agreement, nuclear deal, nuclear liability, nuclear power corporation, nuclear power plant, nuclear power plants, nuke plant, secretary of state, westinghouse electric co