Western Naval Command’s base depot commissionedJuly 10th, 2012 - 11:56 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 10 (IANS) The Western Naval Command’s base depot, INS Tanaji, was commissioned at the historic Mankhurd Naval Base Tuesday in the presence of Indian Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma, according to an officer.
Though naval operations in the country are normally associated with south Mumbai, it was during the World War II that the navy established the naval armament depot, followed by weapon equipment depot, material organisation’s store house, Naval Dockyard production centres and the Bureau of Sailors at Trombay in the eastern suburbs.
From these humble origins, the Mankhurd Naval Base station grew in size and presence into a full-fledged naval area, employing and housing over 1,000 naval personnel and their families, much like its counterpart in south Mumbai.
The commissioning of the Base Depot Ship INS Tanaji is a natural progression of the Western Naval Command of having an independent organisation to look after the needs of these units,” a defence ministry official said.
It has been named after the great Maratha warrior and military leader, Tanaji Malusare of Chhatrapati Shivaji’s army, continuing the Indian Navy’s tradition of honouring Indian military leaders by naming naval establishments after them.
Knows as Simha (Lion), Tanaji was famous for the battle of Sinhagad in 1670. At Chhatrapati Shivaji’s behest, he went to conquer the Kondana Fort near Pune, but he lost his life in the battle at the hands of Udaynhan Rathod, the fortkeeper of Mirza Raja Jai Singh I.
Chhatrapati Shivaji - who reacted to the news of Tanaji’s death, “Gad aala, pan Simha gela” - honoured him by naming Kondana Fort as Sinhagad Fort.
The ceremony was attended by Vice Admiral D.K. Joshi, flag officer commanding-in-chief, Western Naval Command, other officers, defence and civil dignitaries, sailors and their families.
- D.K. Joshi is new navy chief - Jun 05, 2012
- Vice Admiral Joshi to head navy's sword arm - Apr 16, 2011
- Crack marine commandos guard Obama, wife at naval helibase (With images) - Nov 07, 2010
- Admiral Joshi is new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- INS Viraat team wins Western Fleet Regatta (With Images) - Jan 22, 2012
- US Navy operations chief in India - Apr 23, 2012
- Senior Indian Navy post upgraded - Apr 07, 2011
- Four Turkish ships arrive on maiden visit to Mumbai - Jul 08, 2011
- Rear Admiral Shrikhande is IDS assistant chief (With Image) - Aug 23, 2012
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Conquer Raigad Fort - in five minutes! (With images) - Jan 09, 2011
- Vice Admiral Thapliyal is Indian Navy chief of personnel - Jan 27, 2012
- India establishes naval base in Lakshadweep - Apr 30, 2012
- Local trains hit as rains lash Mumbai - Aug 29, 2011
- Rains bring cheers and woes to Mumbai - Jul 08, 2011