West Bengal student takes 17 years to pass Class 10June 4th, 2009 - 12:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 4 (IANS) Sabaidul Islam, 31, from West Bengal’s Murshidabad district, has cleared the Class 10 examination after nine attempts spread over 17 years, officials said Thursday.
Islam scored 371 marks out of 600 in the examination, the results of which were declared last week.
Despite ups and down in his family life and repeated failures, Islam never let go of his dream of cracking the examination one day.
District education department officials said Islam could not pass the internal school test to become eligible for the Class 10 exam in 1992. He cleared the school-level test but failed in the board exams in 1993 and 1994. The next year he did not appear for the examination.
“Between 1996 and 1998, he sat for the same exam but failed three consecutive times and in 1999 Islam’s father passed away. He left his studies and tried to concentrate on farming,” an official said.
“He got admission to Class 8 in Rakhaldaspur Madhyamik School in 2004 and started his preparation for Class 10,” he added.
Islam appeared for the Class 10 exam in 2007 but could not secure the pass marks in science. In 2008, he failed in physical science and mathematics.
“I had no interest in maths and my handwriting was also very poor. But I had to pass so I started practising that subject along with physical science,” said Islam.
This year, he secured 73 marks in physical science and 20 (the minimum passing marks) in mathematics.
- Nothing impossible if one is determined: CBSE topper - May 29, 2012
- Student approaches court to flunk her exam - Jul 23, 2011
- Nothing impossible if one is determined: CBSE topper (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Nothing impossible for a determined man: CBSE topper (Second Lead) - May 29, 2012
- 66-year-old fails in Class 10 boards for 45th time - Jun 02, 2010
- Sharjah student tops CBSE results in Delhi region - May 28, 2012
- Youngest matriculate fails to clear class 12 boards - May 28, 2010
- Young minds not pursuing maths, says PM (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Himachal exam scam: Police hunt for 'Munnabhais' - Oct 21, 2010
- Girls outshine boys in Uttar Pradesh Class 10 results - Jun 10, 2011
- Jharkhand Class 12 students seek re-evaluation - Jun 15, 2011
- Bitten by learning bug, teacher clears 58 subjects in board exams - Apr 07, 2010
- Kashmir education minister resigns over examgate - Feb 10, 2012
- British school bans fountain pens - Oct 12, 2010
- Nurseries of tolerance: Hindus in Islamic seminaries (Feature) - Jul 07, 2011