West Bengal police officer injured in violenceSeptember 14th, 2008 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 14 (IANS) The inspector in charge of a police station in South Parganas district of West Bengal was injured by a mob that put up a blockade at the Sonarpur railway station Sunday.The mob also beat up some railway officials and ransacked the office of the station master and the ticket counter, besides dragging out and assaulting train passengers, the police said.
The residents of the region put up the blockade on the railway tracks demanding an additional local train, leading to a disruption in train services in the Sealdah (South) section of Eastern Railway for an hour.
The protesters grew violent when local police and Railway Police personnel tried to force them to lift the blockade. Sonarpur police station inspector-in-charge Basudeb Bag suffered a head injury when he was hit by a stone.
The mob then ransacked various parts of the station and pulled out and beat up passengers from a suburban train which had halted at the station.
Later, police reinforcements were sent and the situation brought under control.
One person was arrested, the police said.
- Few people on road, trains affected in Bengal - Feb 28, 2012
- One dead in Bengal train collision, Railways announce compensation (Lead) - Jan 08, 2012
- Buses damaged, trains movement disrupted in Bengal (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Passenger dies, mob blocks Amritsar railway station - Mar 20, 2012
- One dead in Bengal train collision - Jan 08, 2012
- Bus set on fire, train movement partially hit in Bengal - May 31, 2012
- Widow 'gang-raped' by train robbers in Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- Strike paralyzes life in West Bengal (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- Angry passengers ransack portion of Howrah railway station - Dec 29, 2010
- Incessant rains disrupt normal life in Bengal - Jun 17, 2011
- Strike evokes partial response; banking, transport hit (Afternoon Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Seven trains cancelled after Bengal accident - Aug 01, 2011
- Mumbai suburban commuters assured of better facilities (With Image) - Jun 10, 2011
- Two Mumbai local trains collide, no casualties (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Parts of Kolkata waterlogged after rains - Apr 06, 2012