West Bengal mulling alternate land for agitating Singur farmersAugust 24th, 2008 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata/Singur, Aug 24 (IANS) The Left Front-ruled West Bengal government is planning to give alternate land to the farmers of Singur who are demanding return of their 400 acres taken for the Tata Motors’ small car factory project, Left Front chairman Biman Bose said Sunday.”The West Bengal government is planning to arrange alternate land for the unwilling farmers whose 400 acre was acquired for setting up ancillary industries for the Tata Motors factory at Singur. But first we have to find out actually how many unwilling farmers are there,” Bose told reporters Sunday evening.
Commenting on main opposition Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee’s indefinite protest in Singur, Bose said: “Trinamool can do whatever they want to. But the Singur issue can only be solved through discussions. Both the parties need to iron out differences first and then only can we come to a solution.”
Both parties are likely to sit for a meeting in the coming week, sources said.
The government has thought of a new compensation package which it wants to discuss with the opposition parties, Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee said at a press conference Saturday.
Addressing a public meeting at Singur, Mamata Banerjee Sunday said: “There is a 500 acre low-lying, infertile plot opposite to the Tata Motors factory site which is owned by the CPI-M promoters.”
She hinted that Tata Motors can shift its ancillary units over there and return the 400 acres to the unwilling farmers.
“We want Tata Motors to do construction work on 600 acres,” she added.
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012
- Monthly allowance to Singur's unwilling farmers doubled - Jun 27, 2012
- Mamata plans factory on 600 acres of Singur land - May 28, 2012
- Court scraps Singur land law, Mamata suffers setback (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
- Jolt for Mamata as court annuls Singur land law (Roundup) - Jun 22, 2012
- Singur land bill will be presented in assembly: Mamata - Jun 10, 2011
- Parties scramble to capture Singur turf (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jun 30, 2012
- We are committed to the cause of Singur farmers: Mamata (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Mamata government tables Singur bill - Jun 14, 2011
- Most parties cheer Singur order, CPI-M differs - Sep 28, 2011
- Return of Singur land welcomed, but CPI-M opposes ordinance - Jun 10, 2011
- Mamata now wants to have rail coach factory in Singur (Lead) - Nov 13, 2009
- Singur farmers distribute sweets, throw colour - Sep 28, 2011
- Singur bill passed in Bengal assembly (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011