West Bengal court defers hearing in Rizwanur caseNovember 24th, 2008 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 24 (IANS) A city court Monday deferred to Dec 12 the hearing on the interim bail for three police officers allegedly involved in the mysterious death of Rizwanur Rehman last year in the West Bengal capital.The 14th Metropolitan Court magistrate Madhumita Ray said the court decided to wait till the Supreme Court gives its verdict Dec 5 on the cancellation of interim bail of former city police deputy commissioner Ajay Kumar, former assistant commissioner Sukanti Chakraborty and sub-inspector Krishnendu Das.
Lawyers for the accused police officers moved the Supreme Court against the Calcutta High Court’s cancellation of their interim bail Nov 18. The high court had asked the accused to surrender before the metropolitan magistrate’s court by Friday.
The three police officers had earlier surrendered before a city court Sep 30 but were granted interim bail.
Rizwanur’s mother Kishwar Jahn then appealed to the high court for cancellation of their bail.
Rizwanur, a 30-year-old graphic designer working with a multimedia firm, was found dead Sep 21 last year near the railway tracks at Kolkata’s Patipukur suburb, barely a month after marrying Hindu girl Priyanka Todi, daughter of industrialist Ashok Todi.
The Calcutta High Court Aug 14 said Rizwanur was forced to commit suicide and asked the Central Bureau of Investigations (CBI) to file chargesheets in the lower court against six accused - Ashok Todi and his brother Pradip, and four police officials Gyanwant Singh, Ajay Kumar, Sukanta Chakraborty and Krishnendu Das.
- Rizwanur case: Accused police officers asked to surrender - Nov 18, 2008
- Rizwanur's brother asks court to cancel bail of accused cops - Oct 13, 2008
- Kolkata policemen bail extended in Rizwanur case - Dec 05, 2008
- Court issues arrest warrant against Todi brothers in Rizwanur case - Oct 27, 2008
- Rizwan case: Calcutta HC directs CBI to initiate fresh probe - May 18, 2010
- Rizwanur case: cops get bail, suicide note submitted in court - Oct 01, 2008
- Rizwanur case: CBI moves Supreme Court, challenges Calcutta High Court's order - Sep 01, 2010
- Rizwanur case: Kolkata court directs framing of suicide charges against Todi - Apr 21, 2011
- Police officers accused in Rizwanur case now in custody - Sep 30, 2008
- Rizwanur case: Todis sent back to jail - Dec 12, 2008
- Rizwanur case: Judge receives threat letter, security tightened - Nov 08, 2008
- Mamata participates in rally to demand justice for Rizwanur - Oct 02, 2008
- CBI prays for abetment to suicide in Rizwanur case - Mar 21, 2011
- CBI launches search for Todi brothers, Sarogi - Oct 29, 2008
- Calcutta High Court rejects Ashok Todi's bail plea - Dec 17, 2008