West Bengal cop sent on leave for torturing domestic helpJune 12th, 2009 - 4:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 12 (IANS) The West Bengal Government has asked a senior state police officer to go on leave for an indefinite period after he was accused of torturing an eight-year-old domestic help, an official said Friday.
Basudeb Bag, a deputy inspector general of police, is accused of physically abusing Janata Midda at his residence in Howrah district.
“We’ve asked the officer to go on leave till the disciplinary proceedings are over. He’ll be on leave for an indefinite period,” state Home Secretary Ardhendu Sen said.
Earlier, state Chief Ashok Mohan Chakrabarti had ordered a probe into the matter. Inspector-General (Organisation) Suman Bala Sahu had met the girl in a home for destitute and filed a report.
The state human rights commission had also asked the home department to send a report as Bag stands accused of employing child labour and physical torture.
The help, a resident of Jhargram, worked in Bag’s house in Howrah’s Sankrail locality for past two years. On June 6, neighbours saw Midda crying on the road.
Midda told them that Bag had assaulted her for getting up late in the morning.
- Minor raped, thrown on rail line - Feb 25, 2012
- Maoists kill four persons in West Bengal (Lead) - Nov 08, 2010
- Bengal heat toll rises to 45 (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Second arrest in Gyaneshwari Express case - Jun 08, 2010
- Trinamool MP accuses party leaders of influencing police - Jul 12, 2011
- Texmaco for logistic park in West Bengal - Aug 30, 2012
- Pakistani woman held for torturing eight-year-old maid - Feb 25, 2012
- Court asks for West Bengal report on Pinki probe - Jul 06, 2012
- West Bengal villagers complain of torture by security forces - Jun 27, 2010
- CBI starts groundwork for West Bengal train crash probe - Jun 07, 2010
- Bengal heat toll rises to 42 - Jun 06, 2012
- Shelter home exploitation: cop held for destroying evidence - Jul 06, 2012
- Court seeks report on Pinki case - Jul 07, 2012
- Scandal brews, Tripura orders probe against senior cop - Jan 20, 2012
- Three held for forcing woman to foetus sex test (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012