West Bengal completes rural e-governance projectSeptember 15th, 2008 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 15 (IANS) The West Bengal government, in association with microprocessor manufacturing major Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), Monday announced successful completion of rural e-governance programme in the state.To bridge the digital divide, the programme was targeted at providing effective governance through computer penetration within the Panchayati Raj institutions, covering 210 rural local bodies across 19 districts.
“The programme was initiated by the state Panchayat Raj and Rural Development department. The total project cost was Rs.38 million of which 40 percent was spent on capacity building activities in the gram panchayats,” West Bengal Panchayat Raj and Rural Development department joint secretary Ranjit Kumar Maity said here Monday.
The gram panchayat e-governance project was initiated as part the Panchayat Raj and Rural Development department’s mandate to usher in social and economic progress in the rural areas through the Information Communication Technology (ICT).
“Panchayat Raj and Rural Development department in West Bengal is one of the progressive departments in India which endeavours to effectively leverage the benefits of ICT,” AMD corporate vice-president Asia Pacific Region Ian Williams.
Founded in 1969, California-headquartered AMD designs and produces microprocessor and graphic media solution for computer, communication and consumer electronics industries.
The company has a presence in 80 different locations across the globe employing about 16,500 people worldwide.
- Manmohan Singh emphasises on need to strengthen panchayats - Apr 24, 2011
- TCS gets Rs.103 crore Bengal contract - Sep 07, 2012
- UN to help empower elected women in Karnataka - Sep 14, 2011
- Government sponsored scheme to aid e-governance in Panchayat bodies - Feb 26, 2010
- President Patil to felicitate Nirmal Gram Puraskar awardees - Mar 22, 2011
- IGNOU launches online vocational courses for rural India - Feb 22, 2010
- IT making panchayats transparent: Minister - Mar 28, 2012
- Commemoration of 'National Panchayati Raj Divas' on Sunday - Apr 22, 2011
- Norwegian delegation to study decentralised governance - Jan 11, 2012
- Make next Five Year Plan panchayat-friendly, PM urged - Apr 24, 2011
- Iraqi delegation in Bangalore to study e-governance projects - Apr 21, 2011
- Panel formed to implement national optic fibre network - Jun 26, 2012
- 'Extend rural job scheme to urban areas' - Mar 15, 2012
- Mamata carries out minor reshuffle - Dec 26, 2011
- Himachal to achieve total sanitation programme by March 31 - Jan 15, 2011