West Bengal cabinet takes pro-learning decisions

November 4th, 2011 - 12:33 am ICT by IANS  

Kolkata, Nov 3 (IANS) In conformity with the right to education act, the West Bengal cabinet Thursday approved a ‘no-detention policy’ for promoting all students up to Class 8 but said examinations will be held to evaluate a student’s progress.

The cabinet also decided to do away with the lottery system in school admission and left it to the individual schools to decide on the modalities of admission.

“We have decided there will be no detention of students up to Class 8. However, examinations will be held and results also announced. This is needed to evaluate the progress of the students and help them overcome weaknesses,” Industries and IT Minister Partha Chatterjee told mediapersons while briefing them on the cabinet decisions.

“We have discussed in detail various aspects of school education. We have been against the lottery system in education. We feel it is for the schools to frame rules for admission. The schools will apprise the education department,” Chatterjee said at the state secretariat.

However, the cabinet decision contradicts the state government’s order last month about introducing a lottery system for admission in schools. In fact, a large number of schools held a meeting Thursday to decide on the modalities of the lottery system.

Education Minister Bratya Basu said the government will not intervene in the admission norms followed by individual schools unless there were allegations of exorbitant fees charged or of partiality in the administration process.

Clause 16 of the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act that came into force from April 1, 2010, states that no child admitted in a school shall be held back in any class till completion of elementary education. The act makes education a fundamental right of every child in the age group of 6-14 years.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe