Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaulFebruary 20th, 2012 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 20 (IANS) Arsenal club management has given under-fire manager Arsene Wenger a purse of 55 million pounds to spend in the summer. The Frenchman has come under heavy criticism for his failure to buy players and rely on inexperienced youngsters.
Arsenal sold club captain Cesc Fabregas and French midfielder Samir Nasri before the start of the 2011-12 season and bought youngsters like Ryo Miyaichi, who is currently on loan to Bolton Wanderers.
The club’s board and majority shareholder Stan Kroenke have reaffirmed their faith in Wenger despite being resigned to a seventh consecutive season without a trophy.
Arsenal’s season went from bad to worse after they crashed out of the FA Cup after a 0-2 defeat to Sunderland. The only chance for the Gunners to win a trophy is if they overcome a four goal deficit against Italian giants AC Milan in the Champions League.
The Gunners hierarchy is adamant the Wenger will remain the club’s manager until, at the very least, his contract expires in 2014. The only situation that would result in Wenger no longer remaining the Arsenal hotseat would be if he decided to resign at the end of the season, the Daily Mail reported.
Wenger is planning an overhaul of his squad in the summer with high profile names such as Mario Goetze, Lukas Podolski, Eden Hazard and Matias Suarez all featuring in the Frenchman’s shopping list.
- Podolski agrees to terms with Arsenal - Feb 29, 2012
- New Gunners owner Kroenke may open purse strings for Wenger - Apr 12, 2011
- Podolski turns down riches to sign with Arsenal - Mar 09, 2012
- Wenger says trophy less Gunners will continue with youth policy - Apr 23, 2011
- Arsenal has no plans to part with Fabregas, Wilshere: Wenger - Apr 24, 2011
- Barca coach Guardiola admits defeat in luring Gunners skipper Fabregas - Feb 22, 2011
- Nasri is the new Thierry Henry: Wenger - Dec 08, 2010
- Arsenal ready to sell skipper Fabregas for 35-mn pounds - Apr 27, 2011
- Mourinho jibes Wenger over Arsenal's protracted trophy drought - Nov 27, 2010
- Kroenke in fight to keep Cesc - Apr 15, 2011
- Bookies favour Manchester City to win EPL - Aug 17, 2012
- I could write a book about the summer: Wenger - Sep 10, 2011
- Arsenal's new boss Kroenke pledges success for Gunners - Apr 12, 2011
- Arsenal wants to bring in more players: Wenger - Jul 25, 2012
- Arsenal stars have spirit of genuine champions: Wenger - Apr 05, 2010
Tags: ac milan, arsenal club, bolton wanderers, cesc fabregas, club captain, club management, consecutive season, daily mail, goetze, gunners, hotseat, inexperienced youngsters, london feb, lukas podolski, majority shareholder, manager arsene wenger, profile names, s board, samir nasri, stan kroenke