Wenger targets Alonso for an injured Fabregas

December 25th, 2008 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS  

Cesc FabregasLondon, Dec 25 (IANS) With captain Cesc Fabregas injured, Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger has set his sights on Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso.Arsenal reportedly made a $20.5 million deadline-day bid for the Spaniard in August but Wenger refused to meet the Liverpool’s valuation of $25 million, the Daily Telegraph reported Thursday.

Ironically Fabregas is likely to be out for four months with knee ligament damage after a tackle with Alonso during Sunday’s 1-1 draw.

The daily said that Wenger may go for Alonso to strengthen Arsenal’s midfield, especially now that Fabregas is out for so long. It also said that Arsenal board blamed the club’s failure to land Alonso in August on the delay in naming a successor to David Dein, who exit as chief executive last year.

New chief executive Ivan Gazidis, who will formally join Arsenal Jan 1, will bring with some much-needed experience in player contract negotiations from America.

Other Arsenal targets include Yaya Toure, the Barcelona midfielder, Juventus youngster Sebastian Giovinco and Stephane Mbia, of Rennes and AC Milan striker Alexandre Pato.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe