Well-heeled Ghaziabad residents protest jeweller’s murderNovember 11th, 2008 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, Nov 11 (IANS) Residents of upscale housing societies here staged a demonstration outside a police station Tuesday to protest the lack of security following the murder of a jeweller, who was robbed of Rs.2 million.Sanjiv Kumar Tiwari, who was part of the protest outside Indirapuram police station here, said in last 12 days, two major crime incidents have taken place in Richmond Park locality.
“Two major crime incidents of burglary and shooting have also taken place in the nearby India Today society,” said Tiwari, a senior lecturer at Maharaja Agrasen College at Delhi.
He alleged that Indirapuram station officer Ashutosh Gautam spoke rudely.
Tiwari said: “In his address, he (Gautam) said it would take about a week to tackle the crime.”
Four unidentified armed men robbed jewellery worth Rs.2 million from a jewellery shop and shot dead the owner Amit Gupta when he resisted.
The incident occurred Monday at Shri Ram Jewellers, located at Reliable City Centre Market in sector-6 Vasundhara residential locality of Ghaziabad.
Family members said at about 11.00 a.m. four men armed with pistols, on two black Pulsar motorcycles, came to the shop.
Three robbers, posing as buyers, entered the showroom and asked to be shown jewellery which had to be given as gift to their sister on her marriage.
Meanwhile, one of their accomplices spoke to the jeweller’s brother Anil Gupta at his mobile shop which is adjacent. He too said that he wanted to buy a mobile phone for his sister.
“When Amit displayed several jewellery sets, one of the robbers collected all the jewellery from the table and put it in his bag and started to flee. When Amit resisted, one of the robbers shot him in the abdomen,” said Anil.
“We are checking bikers and teams have been constituted to nab the robbers. Richmond Park is an elite society in Vasundhara where the two brothers lived with their families. We will strengthen the security measures here,” said Vijay Bhushan, superintendent of police city.
- Tata Motors recovery agent shot, robbed - Oct 27, 2010
- Jewellery shop looted in Ghaziabad - Feb 07, 2012
- Assailants rob retired principal's house, 1 held - Apr 23, 2012
- Jeweller's house looted at gunpoint - Nov 30, 2011
- Rs.40 lakh robbed from jeweller's house - Apr 07, 2011
- Cash, jewellery wowrth Rs.60 lakh looted in Ghaziabad - Jul 20, 2011
- Jeweller shot dead in east Delhi - Feb 17, 2010
- Jewellery worth Rs.2 mn robbed, shop owner shot dead - Nov 10, 2008
- Two arrested in housing fraud case - Jun 20, 2011
- Rs.5 lakh looted, businessman injured - Jun 11, 2012
- Merchant killed in Ghaziabad - Nov 30, 2010
- Robbers kill soldier, relative - May 24, 2012
- Rs.15 lakh robbery in Ghaziabad jewellery shop - Feb 08, 2010
- Six killed in Iraq robbery - Mar 12, 2012
- Roadways bus looted in Ghaziabad - Mar 28, 2011