Weights not aerobics help ease backacheDecember 12th, 2008 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, Dec 12 (IANS) People who rely on weights to ease lower backache fare much better than those who choose to jog, according to new research.The study showed a 60 percent improvement for people with chronic backache who took part in a 16-week exercise programme using dumb bells, barbells etc.
Conversely, people who do aerobics like jogging, walking on a treadmill or used an elliptical machine to ease backache only experienced a 12 percent relief, said Robert Kell, assistant professor of exercise physiology at the University of Alberta, Augustana Campus.
The resistance-training group showed improvements in pain and function of about 60 percent, while those who took aerobic training experienced only a 12 per cent improvement.
“Any activity that makes you feel better is something you should pursue, but the research indicates that we get better pain management results from resistance training.”
The extra benefits stem from using the whole-body approach required in resistance training, Kell believes.
“We tried to strengthen the entire body and by doing that, we decreased the fatigue people felt throughout the day. They were better able to perform their activities of daily living,” he said.
Aerobics training generally works just the lower body, he added.
Approximately 80 percent of North Americans suffer from lower back pain at some point in their lifetimes, and for 85 percent of them the pain is chronic.
Both types of training did provide other fitness benefits, such as lower body fat, the study showed, said an Alberta release.
The findings are scheduled for publication in early 2009 in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
- Weight training more effective in easing back pain - Dec 12, 2008
- Study reveals that jogging helps in losing belly fat - Aug 31, 2011
- Resistance exercise beneficial for cardiovascular health - Jan 16, 2011
- Resistance training good to lower blood pressure - Jan 17, 2011
- Try sprinting to shed belly fat - Jul 01, 2012
- Exercising more an effective way to ease backache - Jun 03, 2009
- Combining aerobic and resistance training helpful for diabetics - Nov 24, 2010
- Hit the gym to maintain health gains after weight loss - Sep 23, 2010
- Frequent exercise helps ease chronic backache - Jun 03, 2009
- Study sheds light on chronic lower back pain condition 'Spondyloarthritis' - Nov 08, 2010
- Study finds that lifting weights reduces risk of diabetes - Aug 07, 2012
- Nintendo Wii keeps idle people fit - May 05, 2011
- How to make that backache vanish - Jul 08, 2011
- Exercises that can help treat arthritis - Aug 15, 2010
- Soccer halves risk of early death among homeless - Oct 03, 2011