Weapons’s verification ordered in Haryana districtJuly 29th, 2008 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Sirsa (Haryana), July 29 (IANS) Physical verification of arms and arms licences will be carried out in Haryana’s Sirsa district following incidents of clashes and the prevailing tension between Dera Sacha Sauda sect followers and the Sikh community, an official said Tuesday. Deputy Commissioner V. Umashankar ordered all the licencees to submit their arms and licences for verification in their respective police stations. He said that receipts would be issued for the deposited arms and licences.
He said that station house officers (SHOs) will verify the character and antecedents of the licencees keeping in view the prevailing circumstances, besides verifying whether the licencee is alive or dead.
No new arms licences will be issued in the district till all existing arms and weapons are verified. The verification process will take three months to complete.
In case people have been issued licences in recent days but have not bought the weapons, they would be allowed to buy the same only after the verification process is over, the official said.
The headquarters of the Dera are located on the outskirts of Sirsa town, 300 km from state capital Chandigarh.
The controversial sect chief, Gurmit Ram Rahim Singh, has been involved in a row with the Sikh community ever since he attired himself like the 10th Sikh guru, Gobind Singh, April last year.
Dabwali town, 50 km from here, saw clashes between Dera followers and Sikh activists in early July. One Sikh youth was killed in the clashes.
- Tension in Punjab district after clash - Jan 16, 2011
- Punjab town tense after Sikh group-Dera followers clash - Mar 08, 2011
- Dera case: Court rejects police cancellation report - Apr 03, 2012
- CBI court directs Sacha Sauda chief to appear in person - May 21, 2011
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
- Bus torched in Haryana, uneasy calm prevails - Mar 01, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Punjab town after clashes - Jan 02, 2011
- Punjab town curfew enters third day, relaxed briefly - Jan 04, 2011
- Amid tension, Dera congregation is peaceful (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2010
- Five women killed in Dera Sacha Sauda gathering - Apr 30, 2010
- Over 50 people detained for Punjab, Haryana violence - Feb 28, 2010
- Violence in Punjab, Haryana after fresh case against Dera chief (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Five women devotees killed in Haryana stampede - Apr 30, 2010
- Five women killed in Haryana stampede (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- Dera Sacha Sauda not allowed to hold congregation - Sep 03, 2009