We will play for Irish cricket and pride: PorterfieldMarch 17th, 2011 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 17 (IANS) Giant-killers Ireland face the Netherlands in their final 2011 World Cup game Friday and captain William Porterfield said his team will be playing for pride against the fellow associate nation.
Both the teams are out of the reckoning for a place in the quarterfinals but Porterfield rated the game as an important one in the context of Irish cricket.
“There is plenty to look forward to tomorrow. We are playing a World Cup game against one of the associate members,” said Porterfield.
“Its a very important game for the Irish cricket and pride as well. We will field our best side to ensure we win.”
Ireland have been a better team in the tournament, having shocked England earlier in the competition. The Dutch, on the other hand, have not won a game but they have been impressive. Their batting display against the English in their opening game has been the high point of their game.
Porterfield said they will approach the game as they have against the higher-ranked teams.
“It is always going to be great game when the two associate nations take on each other, especially in a World Cup. There is no rivalry but it is like any other game for us.”
Porterfield acknowledged the team’s fielding has been of high standards throughout the competition.
“The way we have fielded I think it has been excellent especially the ground fielding has been superb. We have bowled well too. There is no team that really took us apart.
“We need to improve in our batting. We have lost wickets in clusters in some of the matches, something we can’t afford to do against the big teams.”
The match will be Ireland’s second at the historic Eden Gardens after losing to
South Africa Tuesday. Porterfield compared the stadium with the marvellous Lord’s Cricket Ground in London.
“It is one of the popular grounds in India in terms of its history. It is like the teams who come to England and want to play at Lord’s. It is great to play here,” he said.
- West Indies will be wary of fast-improving Ireland (Preview) - Mar 10, 2011
- Ireland calls ICC's decision right one for all 96 associates - Jun 30, 2011
- India is the focus now: Ireland captain - Mar 05, 2011
- We have nothing to lose against South Africa: Porterfield - Mar 14, 2011
- We have to play 'brave cricket' against India: Borren - Mar 08, 2011
- ICC's decision on 10-team World Cup an joke: Ireland captain - Apr 05, 2011
- Ireland put India on notice with victory over England - Mar 03, 2011
- South Africa eye group B leadership, see Ireland tough nut (Preview) - Mar 14, 2011
- Win against Pakistan will strengthen our case: Ireland skipper - May 28, 2011
- Ireland drop O'Brien as he opts for Bangladesh T20 League - Feb 10, 2012
- World Cup back at the Eden, but minus the fans - Mar 14, 2011
- Ireland furious over ICC's decision to reduce 2015 World Cup to 10 teams - Apr 05, 2011
- Spirited Irish fans back minnows against England - Mar 03, 2011
- Ireland beat Namibia to qualify for World T20 - Mar 24, 2012
- O'Brien wary of strong Indian batting, bowling line-up - Mar 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,