We will miss Sreedharan’s services: DikshitDecember 28th, 2011 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 28 (IANS) E. Sreedharan, credited with creating the Delhi Metro network that has changed the way Delhiites travel, retires Saturday as head of Delhi Metro. Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit says the city will miss the Metro Man.
Dikshit told IANS: “He (Sreedharan) is known for his outstanding work. His managerial skills are admirable. We will miss his services.”
Dikshit said the planning and timely execution of the Metro project by Sreedhran was admirable.
Sreedharan, 79, fondly called the ‘Metro Man’, retires Dec 31 after a 15-year tenure as Delhi Metro chief. The Metro has made public transport affordable, reliable and a safe travel option for people in Delhi and its adjoining towns in Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
Sreedharan was scheduled to retire in 2000, but was requested repeatedly by the Delhi government to continue as DMRC chief.
He was given five extensions so that work on Delhi Metro’s Phase I and II was not hindered.
Mangu Singh, 56 and the Metro’s Director (Works) who oversaw the construction of the showcase Airport Express Metro, will be Sreedharan’s successor.
Singh will be in-charge of Delhi Metro’s Phase-III that will bring another 103 km of the capital under the Metro network.
The engineer is also in-charge for consultancy works undertaken by Delhi Metro for planning Metro systems in Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Ahmedabad and Kochi.
Dikshit said: “Phase III will be come up under a different leadership. It is not right to compare the new person with Sreedharan or comment on him…
We are confident he is capable as he has been picked up by a committee. He will definitely be able to do well.”
Delhi Metro’s 160 trains make about 2,400 trips a day and carry about 18 lakh passengers on working days.
- Metro Man Sreedharan switches tracks, retires Saturday - Dec 30, 2011
- Metro Man rides into sunset, to pass baton to Mangu Singh (With Image) - Dec 30, 2011
- Secretariat-Kashmere Gate Metro line expected by 2015 - May 25, 2012
- DDA told to raise funds for Metro network expansion - May 03, 2011
- Metro completes first tunnel of Phase III - Jul 26, 2012
- Metro Phase III will be built by 2016 - May 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro has a Rs.15,000 crore debt - Feb 14, 2012
- Sreedharan bids adieu to Delhi Metro - Dec 31, 2011
- Book on Delhi Metro's success story - May 16, 2012
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- Commuter indiscipline swells Delhi Metro coffers - Aug 26, 2011
- Eight years on, Delhi Metro plans for Phase III (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Top Delhi Metro official resigns - Apr 19, 2012
- Delhi Metro Phase III gets bigger, to cover Jamia, Faridabad - Jan 31, 2011
- Metro Phase III gets approval - Aug 10, 2011
Tags: airport express, chennai hyderabad, chief minister, delhi government, delhi metro, director works, haryana, kochi, lakh, managerial skills, metro chief, metro man, metro network, metro project, metro systems, phase iii, safe travel, sheila dikshit, timely execution, travel option