We will leave Iraq to its people: ObamaJanuary 21st, 2009 - 12:52 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 20 (IANS) US President Barack Obama in his inaugural speech reiterated his commitment of American troopers leaving Iraq “to its people”.“Our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please… Our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint,” Obama said in his speech.
“Guided by these principles once more, we can meet those new threats that demand even greater effort — even greater cooperation and understanding between nations.
“We will begin to responsibly leave Iraq to its people, and forge a hard-earned peace in Afghanistan.
“With old friends and former foes, we will work tirelessly to lessen the nuclear threat, and roll back the specter of a warming planet.
“We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you,” he said.
- Obama vows to fight terror with 'sturdy alliances and enduring convictions' - Jan 21, 2009
- Inaugural speech of President Barak Obama - Jan 21, 2009
- Text of Obama's inauguration address - Jan 21, 2009
- US a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus - and non-believers: Obama (Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- We will defeat you: Obama to terrorists - Jan 21, 2009
- Obama unveils vision of new world (Overall Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Text of Obama's speech announcing Osama's killing - May 02, 2011
- Prepared remarks - Obama's speech at the United Nations - Sep 23, 2010
- Congress terms US remarks on Anna fast 'objectionable' - Aug 12, 2011
- US needed to stop Gadhafi's 'brutal repression': Obama - Mar 29, 2011
- Choice between safety and ideals false: Obama - Jan 21, 2009
- Ninth 9/11 anniversary marked by controversy as relatives gather - Sep 11, 2010
- Text of president's speech - Aug 14, 2012
- After 4,400 deaths, US ends combat in Iraq (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- Growing India-US ties threat to Pak solidarity: Jamaat-e-Islami - Nov 11, 2010