We should never forget Mumbai heroes: Rahul GandhiJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 12:09 am ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Jan 21 (IANS) Paying tributes to the police officials who laid down their lives fighting terrorists in Mumbai, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi wednesday said the nation should never forget these heroes.The country had given these personnel little, but they made supreme sacrifice for the country, Gandhi said, adding: “We should never forget these heroes.”
Gandhi was addressing a conference on ‘police performance and public perception’ at the Rajasthan Police Academy auditorium here during his daylong visit to the city. The meet was attended by senior police officers, officials, researchers and faculty from management institutes and sociologists from across the country.
Remembering sub-inspector Tukaram G. Omble, who was killed while trying to grapple terrorist Ajmal Amir alias Kasab in Mumbai, Gandhi said: “In my eyes, Omble is the hero. We didn’t give him a weapon. We all know that we gave him only a lathi (baton).”
“But when he came face to face with the enemies of the nation, he grabbed their guns and allowed us to capture one of them. There are many such heroes in Mumbai who fought the terrorists.”
Gandhi, Congress general secretary and MP from Amethi, underliend the need for police reforms and said police officials should interact more with general public.
“Many problems can be solved just by listening to views of the general public,” he said.
Commenting on economy, Gandhi said the global financial crisis would not affect India much.
“We, with a strong economic base, would be able to fight the global economic crisis,” he said.
- Media persons frown on paid news, PR journalists - Feb 14, 2012
- Father's courage paid off, says braveheart Omble's daughter (Lead) - May 06, 2010
- Kasab: He first took to crime, then to jehad - Aug 29, 2012
- 'Occupy Dalal Street Movement' protestors detained - Nov 04, 2011
- He caught Kasab - only to go away forever, says family (One Year After 26/11) - Nov 21, 2009
- NCP disappointed over Rahul Gandhi's comment - Feb 05, 2010
- Needed to debate CAG findings: PM - Sep 07, 2012
- First witness deposes in 26/11 Mumbai attacks case - May 08, 2009
- Rahul Gandhi ends Mumbai visit, cocks a snook at Shiv Sena, MNS - Feb 05, 2010
- Government trying to protect Indian economy from global mess: PM - Sep 07, 2012
- Shiv Sena keeps up offensive, Shah Rukh defiant (Roundup) - Feb 02, 2010
- 26/11: India still awaits Pakistan's decisive action (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2011
- We'll be there, say 26/11 heroes still on duty - Nov 23, 2010
- Chavan, Maharashtra leaders welcome Kasab verdict - May 03, 2010
- Second witness testifies against Kasab - May 12, 2009