We know little about China’s combat capability: IAF chiefMay 27th, 2009 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) Little is known about China’s “actual capability” in the defence sector, Indian Air Force (IAF) chief Air Chief Marshal Fali Homi Major said Wednesday, as he clarified his previous remarks that Beijing was the biggest threat to India.
“I meant to say that we know very little about the actual capability of the country… You do not want to be threat-centric, you want to be capability-based,” Major told a press conference here.
While asserting that IAF was placed “very well” vis-a-vis China, the IAF chief said: “We need to improve our combat edge.
“We certainly have plans to improve infrastructure in the northeastern region. We are in the process of developing four-five airfields and advance landing grounds and put our assets there. Soon we will be moving our one squadron of Sukhois (combat jets) to the northeast,” Major added.
In an interview to a newspaper, the IAF chief had said earlier this week that in the wake of its military expansion, China is a “bigger threat” than Pakistan.
A.K. Antony, immediately after taking charge as defence minister Monday, said his ministry had taken note of the rapid development of infrastructure by China on its side of the border.
“Infrastructure development in the northeast and other border areas (and) modern equipment in coastal areas is more important and will require fast track procurement,” he had said.
“India wants to have friendly relations with all its neighbours. We have to not only maintain but improve relations with China. At the same time, we have to be eternally prepared for any challenges to our security,” he had said.
- IAF chief forced to retract China threat remark - May 27, 2009
- After Tezpur, Sukhoi war planes at Chabua near India-China border - Jun 02, 2009
- Kargil to be a major air base by 2016 - Oct 03, 2011
- Reactivated airfield in Arunachal strategic: IAF chief - Nov 18, 2011
- IAF to induct more fighters, radars in northeast - Jul 27, 2011
- IAF commanders assess force levels - Oct 12, 2011
- Up above the world so high, IAF in the sky (Oct 8 is the IAF's 78th anniversary) - Oct 07, 2010
- India well prepared in case of war: Antony (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- IAF's air bases modernisation to kick start this month - Apr 12, 2011
- IAF inducts second SU-30 squadron in northeast - Mar 01, 2011
- IAF strengthening its ground assets: Air chief - Oct 10, 2010
- No need for alarm over Chinese military: India - Nov 02, 2011
- China has built 58,000 km roads, five airfields in Tibet: Antony - Mar 07, 2011
- India to induct Akash missiles, holds war game in northeast (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- IAF upgrading airfields in northeast: Naik - Nov 03, 2010