We are sympathetic to Tamils, says PMAugust 1st, 2008 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Aug 1 (IANS) India is sympathetic to Sri Lanka’s Tamil community on humanitarian grounds, a Tamil politician quoted Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as saying Friday. D. Sitharthan of the People’s Liberation Organisation of Tamil Eelam (PLOTE) called on Manmohan Singh at the Taj Samudra Hotel along with two other Tamil politicians, V. Anandasangaree and T. Sritharan.
Sitharthan said he and his colleagues, who constitute the Tamil Democratic National Alliance, told Manmohan Singh about the situation in Sri Lanka, where violence linked to the ethnic conflict shows no signs of abating despite claiming over 70,000 lives.
After listening to them, Sitharthan quoted the prime minister as saying: “At least on humanitarian grounds, we are very sympathetic to Tamils and will do whatever is possible for their welfare.”
Sitharthan described their meeting as “constructive” and “fruitful”. “The prime minister listened to us attentively,” he said.
According to Sri Lankan sources, the Indian leader also met leaders of several political parties in the country.
- Sinhalese moving into Tamil areas, India told - Oct 10, 2011
- Colombo treating us like 'aborigines', Tamils tell India - Jun 13, 2011
- Mathai to visit Sri Lanka - Oct 05, 2011
- Mathai raises issue of Tamil fishermen with Sri Lanka - Oct 10, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012
- India votes against Sri Lanka, then mollifies Colombo (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- Rajapaksa, Manmohan to meet for talks - Sep 20, 2012
- Prevent attacks on Tamils, Karunanidhi tells PM - Mar 22, 2012
- India supports Sri Lankan reconciliation, to stay engaged - Jun 29, 2012
- Sri Lanka war crimes: AIADMK dissatisfied with PM's response - Mar 14, 2012
- AIADMK unhappy with PM over Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Amid Tamil Nadu unrest, Manmohan to meet Rajapaksa - Sep 18, 2012
- India votes against Sri Lanka, tries to pacify Colombo (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- Fringe pro-LTTE groups behind Tamil Nadu violence: Sri Lankan envoy (Interview) - Sep 06, 2012
- Sri Lanka at 'critical point' post-LTTE, says politician (Interview) - Nov 15, 2011