WB Congress demands CBI probe in Hooch tragedyDecember 17th, 2011 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 17 (IANS) The West Bengal state Congress unit Saturday demanded a CBI investigation into the recent Hooch tragedy in the state in which 171 people died after consuming spurious liquor.
“We demand a CBI probe into the recent hooch tragedy. The guilty should be severely punished,” Congress president Pradip Bhattacharjee told reporters.
“There have been deaths due to hooch tragedies in the past as well. But after some days, the illegal liquor shops responsible for them come up again. There should be a end to all these crimes,” Bhattacharjee said.
The recent hooch tragedy in the state is among India’s worst, as at least 171 people died and over 100 were hospitalised in Bengal’s Magrahat Block of South 24 parganas district after they drank spurious liquor that came as cheap as Rs.10 a glass. The victims were mostly masons, wage labourers and hawkers, who sat in shanties to drink as a way to relax after a hard day’s work.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has ordered a Criminal Investigation Department (CID) probe into the liquor deaths in Sangrampur, barely 50 km from Kolkata.
- Many deaths in hooch tragedy due to government's negligence: Left - Dec 17, 2011
- Bengal hooch tragedy prime suspect surrenders - Jan 16, 2012
- Three arrested in hooch tragedy case - Dec 25, 2011
- Bengal hooch tragedy prime suspect surrenders (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 171, official suspended (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 (Intro Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Mamata to lead rally against illegal liquor Dec 30 - Dec 23, 2011
- Bengal hooch tragedy: Charge sheet against 23 filed - Feb 11, 2012
- Hooch sellers want financial package from Mamata - Dec 22, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 167 (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Calcutta HC stays compensation to hooch victims' families - Feb 07, 2012
- Four arrested for Bengal hooch tragedy (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- CPI-M men behind hooch tragedy: Bengal minister - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: bhattacharjee, cbi probe, chief minister, cid probe, congress president, criminal investigation department, criminal investigation department cid, hawkers, hooch tragedy, illegal liquor, labourers, liquor shops, mamata banerjee, masons, pradip, shanties, spurious liquor, state congress, tragedies, west bengal state