Watson bats for Symonds for Gabba TestNovember 16th, 2008 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Nov 16 (IANS) Shane Watson has tipped Andrew Symonds for the first Test against New Zealand that begins Thursday, though it can scuttle his chances to be in the side. The two all-rounders are included in Australia’s 13 man-squad but it won’t come as a surprise if Symonds makes the cut at the expense of Watson for the first Test at Gabba.
“If Roy gets a spot, he bloody deserves it, he’s been a great player for a number of years,” Watson was quoted as saying in the Daily Telegraph. “I wouldn’t feel hard done by, no way. I’m still only 27, so I know I’ve got a lot of really good cricket in front of me,” Watson said.
“Roy definitely deserves an opportunity whenever he’s ready to go. He’s performed so well in some tough times for Australia and you can’t take that away from him.”
Watson, who came at place of Symonds after the Darwin fiasco gave some fine performances in the recently concluded tour of India. So it would be harsh if he has to sit out the first Test. But Watson says he is taking things in his stride.
“What happened to Roy on the Darwin tour gave me another opportunity to have a crack at Test cricket, so that’s the roundabouts of professional sport,” Watson said. “I used to worry about a lot when I was younger and probably put too much pressure on myself.”
“Now I’m just enjoying every minute of playing. Hopefully I get another opportunity. Whether it’s now or in a couple of years, who knows? I know when I get another opportunity I’m going to give it everything I’ve got.”
Incidentally, in 2006-07 Ashes series, Symonds was only handed his chance because Watson, who had originally been selected, struggled with persistent hamstring injuries.
- Katich resigns to his fate, says Cowan worthy successor - Dec 26, 2011
- Watson needs another week to recover fully - Feb 11, 2012
- "I'm not going to be the new Ricky Ponting", says new Australian captain Clarke - Mar 30, 2011
- Best looking to make most of his West Indies call-up - May 24, 2012
- Prior wants another chance to open batting in World Cup quarterfinal - Mar 24, 2011
- Confident with the squad we have: Clarke - Aug 04, 2011
- North says nothing to hide from England ahead of Ashes - Nov 05, 2010
- Sarwan plays down interest in West Indies tour - May 04, 2012
- Sammy clear about bowling role in West Indies side - Apr 10, 2012
- Waugh ready to come to the aid of 'hammered' Aussies - Jan 08, 2011
- Wise Ponting realised that clinging onto Oz captaincy could have finished him - Mar 30, 2011
- Nicest guy Dravid phenomenal: Watson - Mar 09, 2012
- We are not here to lose: Sri Lanka coach - May 17, 2011
- White to captain Aussies for first time in ODIs - Feb 04, 2011
- Don't feel the need to pass the baton on: Hussey - Jan 22, 2012