Watchman didn’t set Ratlam church on fire: Catholic bodySeptember 9th, 2008 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Sep 9 (IANS) The Catholic Bishops Council here Tuesday alleged that the police were shielding the real culprits who set fire to an 86-year-old church in Madhya Pradesh’s Ratlam district and said the watchman who had been arrested was innocent.”The police, in a bid to save the culprits, have come out with a concocted story that the church watchman set the church on fire because he was not getting enough salary,” the council spokesman Father Anand Muttangal told IANS Tuesday.
Noel Pare, the watchman at the St. Bartholomew Church, was arrested Monday evening and police said he set the church ablaze as he was unhappy with the church authorities.
“He took the extreme step after being scolded by the church authorities,” a police official had said.
The St Bartholomew Church was Sunday burnt down allegedly by activists of the Bajrang Dal and the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP). But Deputy Inspector General (Ratlam range) Varun Kapoor said that circumstantial evidence indicated that watchman Pare was behind the crime.
“Pare has confessed before the police that his intention was not to set the church on fire. He simply wanted the authorities to have a bad name for not having managed the premises properly. He had bought one litre of kerosene and the shopkeeper too has identified Pare,” Kapoor said.
Kapoor added that according to prima facie evidence, the culprit had to be someone acquainted closely with the church. The papers and cloth used in the fire were taken out from a small basement near the prayer room, he said.
“It would have been impossible for an outsider to get cloth and papers from that box,” Kapoor said.
- 'Conduct narco test on watchman accused of burning church' - Sep 11, 2008
- 150-year-old cathedral torched in central India (Lead) - Sep 19, 2008
- Fire on Mumbai-Delhi Rajdhani Express, all passengers safe - Apr 18, 2011
- After threat to Zardari, PML-N offices set ablaze - Oct 30, 2011
- 12 die in Madhya Pradesh stampede (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Five killed in Pakistan clash - Jun 22, 2012
- Student sets herself afire after teacher's beating - Oct 14, 2011
- Murder saga resolved, six skeletons found (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Murder saga resolved with discovery of six skeletons (Third Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Minor girl dies of burns, kin allege rape, murder - Jun 25, 2011
- Archbishop of Canterbury to lead memorial service in Delhi - Oct 14, 2010
- Robbers break through bank wall, steal Rs.5 mn cash, gold - May 06, 2011
- The Turkey Based Patriarch Of The Old Orthodox Christian Church Feels Crucified: 60 Minutes 8/8/2010 - Aug 09, 2010
- 31 convicted, 63 acquitted for Godhra train burning (Roundup) - Feb 22, 2011
- Builder's guard held for firing on parking issue - Jan 22, 2012