Was Zubaida killed for money, not ‘honour’?August 29th, 2012 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 29 (IANS) Despite the preliminary confession of three persons that they killed their sister Zubaida to save the “honour” of the family, investigators continue to probe the possibility that money was the motive behind the murder.
Police arrested Mushtaq Ahmad Dar and his sisters Nasreen and Misra following the discovery of 20-year-old Zubaida’s body in the fields outside their Shoolipora village in Budgam district Aug 24.
“FIR number 248 under Section 302 of the Indian Penal Code (murder) was registered in Budgam police station. During investigations, the brother and two sisters said they faced public humiliation because of their sister’s conduct, and decided to eliminate her to save family honour,” a police official said.
However, investigators are not ruling out other motives behind the murder.
In 1993, the father of the four siblings was killed in a gun-fight.
The siblings later got an ex-gratia payment from the state.
Dar and his two sisters were constructing a house with the money they had received.
It is reported that they urged Zubaida too to contribute towards the house, but she refused.
- Srinagar murder case solved: Police - Jun 10, 2011
- Two Pakistanis killed four women, sliced their bodies (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Cancer victims of Bhopal tragedy cry for justice - May 05, 2011
- Three of family murdered in Haryana's Sonipat - Apr 20, 2012
- Woman killed as lightning strikes UP village - Aug 31, 2012
- Judicial probe ordered into Orissa police firing - Aug 24, 2010
- Court rejects plea of armyman's widow for relief - Aug 28, 2011
- Three of family murdered in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 19, 2011
- Missing nurse: Court asks cops why all in case not quizzed - Oct 13, 2011
- SC to examine high court's powers under Article 226 (Second Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Shoe-thrower mentally unsound: Kashmir Police - Aug 15, 2010
- Uncle named as killer of a boy killed in 1984 - Aug 01, 2012
- Civilian killing: Murder case against two Kashmir security personnel - Aug 08, 2011
- Aarushi case: Arguments on charges end, order Thursday (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Four of family found murdered in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: ahmad, brother, confession, discovery, family honour, fir, indian penal code, investigations, investigators, misra, money, motive, motives, nasreen, police official, police station, public humiliation, siblings, three persons, two sisters