Warship on fire post collision, efforts on to douse blazeJanuary 31st, 2011 - 12:47 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 31 (IANS) Frantic efforts were on Monday to save Indian Navy warship INS Vindhyagiri after a major fire engulfed it following a collision with a merchant vessel off Mumbai Harbour, official sources said here.The warship of the Nilgiri class had collided with the container vessel MV Nordlake around 5 p.m. Sunday but there were no casualties.
The naval fire brigade was assisted by the Mumbai Fire Brigade in dousing the fire, which apparently started in the engine room when it was brought to the naval dockyard for assessing the damage, the sources said, adding that possibilities of saving the warship seemed bleak.
An official defence spokesperson confirmed the fire on board the warship but declined to give further details.
While the naval frigate was entering the Mumbai Harbour after celebrating “a day at sea” with naval personnel and their families, the MV Nordlake, loaded with containers, was navigating out of the harbour.
The collision took place in the main navigation channel used by all vessels to enter both Mumbai Port Trust and Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust.
Though there were no casualties or oil spill after the collision, the container ship was detained for further investigations.
Vindhyagiri is a 3,000-tonne, 20-year-old frigate commissioned in the navy in 1981.
- Rammed warship catches fire, listing; probe ordered - Jan 31, 2011
- Navy permitted to decommission, destroy damaged warship - May 08, 2012
- INS Vindhyagiri sinks after collision - Jan 31, 2011
- Ship catches fire near Mumbai, many stuck - Jan 31, 2011
- Off Mumbai, coast not clear of maritime disasters - Aug 09, 2011
- Capsized naval ship to be decommissioned in 2012 - Dec 02, 2011
- Cargo vessel hits naval warship, no casualties - Jan 30, 2011
- Indian warships to sail through South China Sea - May 04, 2012
- Efforts on to douse fire in cargo ship off Mumbai, no casualties - Sep 10, 2012
- Tragedy averted in Mumbai harbour (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Tragedy averted in Mumbai harbour - Mar 23, 2011
- Maritime activity resumes five days after collision (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
- Navy to stop escorting ships in Mumbai harbour from Monday - Aug 22, 2010
- Barge to unload containers from beleaguered ship from Saturday - Aug 26, 2010
- Expedite Mumbai harbour channel widening: Centre - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: blaze, casualties, container ship, container vessel, defence spokesperson, fire brigade, frantic efforts, indian navy, ins, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru port, jawaharlal nehru port trust, merchant vessel, mumbai port trust, naval dockyard, naval frigate, naval personnel, navigation channel, navy warship, oil spill