Warrant issued against Medha Patkar in defamation suitJanuary 28th, 2009 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Jan 28 (IANS) An Ahemdabad court Wednesday issued a bailable warrant against Medha Patkar of the Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) in a defamation case.Ahmedabad Metropolitan Magistrate R.G. Chaudhary issued the warrant as Patkar and her advocate failed to appear before the court though they were given four opportunities.
The court directed the police of Badwani in Madhya Pradesh, Patkar’s base, to arrest her and bring her before the court on Feb 27.
The case was filed by Ahmedabad-based National Council for Civil Liberties (NCCL) president V.K. Saxena, who has been running a campaign against the NBA leader.
Patkar in an interview to a TV channel in April 2006 reportedly said: “Mr. Saxena is getting civil contracts from Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd (SSNL, the agency executing the Narmada dam project). I am ready to prove this any time.”
Saxena, also appearing on the same TV channel, denied the allegation and challenged her to provide evidence. He also sent her a legal notice April 29, 2006. Patkar, however, failed to provide any evidence, Saxena has said.
Saxena filed the defamation suit against Patkar on June 29, 2006.
The court directed the police to investigate the case.
The SSNL in a letter to police said: “Saxena neither in his personal capacity nor as president of the NCCL ever applied to the Nigam for award of any civil contract or for any supply contract in the past nor the Nigam has ever given civil or any other contract to him or to his NGO.”
The police submitted a report to the court and said that even after she was given opportunities, Patkar did not come to Ahmedabad to record her statement.
The court found a prima facie case against Patkar and summoned her Aug 14, 2008.
- Medha Patkar told to ensure lawyer's presence - May 23, 2012
- Medha Patkar fined Rs.5,000 for not appearing in court - Mar 10, 2011
- Court slaps fine on Medha Patkar - Sep 14, 2009
- Perjury plea against Medha Patkar dismissed - Mar 31, 2010
- Court notice to Medha Patkar on medical certificate - Feb 08, 2010
- Sue Patkar for Lavasa work stoppage: NCCL chief - Jan 08, 2011
- The men and the woman behind Team Anna - Aug 28, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
- Bihar court seeks arrest of 11 Nepali Maoist leaders - Sep 15, 2011
- Corruption allegations: Medha Patkar defends Hazare - Oct 17, 2011
- Ashis Nandy denied relief in case filed by Gujarat police - Sep 01, 2010
- Police told to produce missing man or his body - Aug 04, 2012
- Fresh summons issued to Gupta for defaming Dikshit - Jun 22, 2012
- Top bureaucrats in Gujarat land scam - Mar 21, 2010
- Ombudsman files FIR against Yeddyurappa in graft case (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011