Warnock calls FA’s ruling on Barton ’scandalous’ and ‘farcical’January 5th, 2012 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 5 (IANS) Queens Park Rangers manager Neil Warnock has launched a verbal attack on the English Football Association (FA) by calling the decision to uphold midfielder Joey Barton’s red card as “farcical” and “scandalous”.
Barton was sent-off in the West London team’s 1-2 defeat at home to Norwich City for an alleged head-butt on Bradley Johnson. However, replays showed that Barton had moved his head towards the Norwich player but did not make any contact.
The midfielder tweeted after the match that the referee had been “conned” into showing him a red card.
After the sending-off, QPR appealed against the referee’s decision, but the FA upheld the red card which means Barton will have to serve a three-match ban.
“I am not surprised, but it is difficult to accept when you see what Dempsey did in comparison with Joey Barton. It is farcical, isn’t it? Whenever you see something happen on the field of play that warrants a red card, if the linesman sees that offence they flag and flag until the referee goes towards him, tells him what he has seen and then the lad is sent off,” Warnock was quoted as saying by the Guardian.
“I know they have got to look after themselves but I feel really let down as a manager and a club that three invisible people (on the disciplinary commission) can look at that and not look at the linesman and take that into consideration. If he did see it, why did he not flag immediately and keep his flag up?”
“When you get people like (former referee) Graham Poll, who is not my biggest fan, and Dermot Gallagher supporting what I am saying then the three people on the commission go against that, I just think it is scandalous but I am not surprised,” he added.
- FA likely to charge QPR's Barton - Jan 03, 2012
- Barton stripped of QPR captaincy, fined - Jun 25, 2012
- Barton dismisses Man City star Barry as 'teacher's pet' - Apr 08, 2011
- Newcastle star Barton could face FA action over 'obscene gestures' - Dec 13, 2010
- Football Association gives special treatment to Man U: Mancini - Mar 02, 2011
- Queen Park Rangers likely to be stripped of automatic Premier League promotion - Apr 29, 2011
- United striker Macheda joins QPR on loan - Jan 02, 2012
- Manchester City wins league title in thrilling fashion - May 14, 2012
- FA could have intervened to punish Rooney over elbowing incident: FIFA chief - Mar 06, 2011
- Maradona sympathises with England - Jun 28, 2010
- Park Ji-Sung switches to Queen's Park Rangers - Jul 10, 2012
- Amy Childs finally reacts to Joey Barton's comments - Nov 15, 2011
- Newcastle ace Barton gives his version of infamous bust-up with Dabo - Apr 08, 2011
- Scolari attacks Lampard red card - Feb 02, 2009
- Ferguson set for trial by TV over referee rant - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: bradley johnson, dermot, disciplinary commission, english football association, gallagher, graham poll, head butt, joey barton, linesman, london jan, neil warnock, norwich city, offence, qpr, queens park, queens park rangers, referee, replays, verbal attack, west london