Warner to replace injured Clarke for second ODIJanuary 17th, 2009 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 17 (IANS) David Warner will replace injured Michael Clarke in Australia’s Commonwealth Bank Series squad for the second One-day international against South Africa at Bellerive Oval in Hobart Sunday.Warner has been called into the squad as Clarke has been advised a two week break to recover from his thumb injury in time for One-dayers against New Zealand.
“When Michael arrived in Melbourne Wednesday, it was evident that after one week’s rest the pain in his thumb had decreased enough for him to bat at training the following day,” Australian team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said.
“However during last match, he experienced pain while batting. It was the first time that he had batted without an injection since suffering the injury during the Test match at the WACA.”
He will now rest for two weeks, after which he will be reviewed by Cricket Australia medical staff with the plan for him to be available for the Commonwealth Bank Series against New Zealand.
With an important Test series against South Africa starting in four weeks, this is the best course of action, Kountouris said.
National selection panel Chairman Andrew Hilditch said: “This is very disappointing for Michael and his presence will be sorely missed. However it presents an exciting opportunity for David Warner to follow his spectacular Twenty20 debut in the 50-over format for Australia.”
- Warner set for ODI debut as Clarke ruled out for series - Jan 17, 2009
- Warner all set to make ODI debut against Proteas on Sunday - Jan 17, 2009
- Dan Christian gets Australia call-up for second Test - Dec 05, 2011
- Clarke to miss ODI against Sri Lanka - Feb 13, 2012
- Hauritz doubtful for England series, World Cup - Jan 22, 2011
- Pattinson ruled out of India series, Star named replacement - Jan 06, 2012
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Ferguson to replace Marsh for remaining Sri Lanka series - Nov 04, 2010
- Australia include teenage fast bowler for India tour - Sep 02, 2010
- Pattinson, Siddle nursing niggles, but sure to play Test - Dec 16, 2011
- Injured Ryan Harris to return to Australia - Nov 17, 2011
- Injured Hussey, Hauritz out of Australia's World Cup squad - Feb 08, 2011
- Loss to New Zealand a wake up call before India series: Clarke - Dec 12, 2011
- Clarke to lead Australia in Sydney, Haddin vice-captain (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Brett Lee undergoes surgery in Cape Town, returning home - Oct 11, 2011