War-footing efforts must for Delhi Commonwealth Games: P.T. UshaFebruary 24th, 2009 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 24 (IANS) Olympian P.T. Usha Tuesday said the arrangements for the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games must be completed on war-footing while a parliamentary panel report said the arrangements for hosting the mega event were inadequate.
“There are around 560 days for the Commonwealth Games. If we have enough funds, these days are enough to make elaborate arrangements for the Games,” Usha told IANS by phone from Kozhikode.
She was reacting to the disclosure by the Parliamentary Standing Committee that Delhi was running far behind the schedule in preparing for the Commonwealth Games.
The committee, headed by CPI-M MP Sitaram Yechury, said accommodation of a large number of guests during the Games would be a major problem as there were not enough hotels.
“The committee is perturbed to note that the countdown to Commonwealth Games has begun but there seems inadequate infrastructure in all sectors such as roads, airport, accommodation, surface transport, entertainment, basic amenities, parking, information centres, security, stadia and supply of power,” the report said.
Usha, who was once known as India’s golden girl, said the Games would help give a fresh energy to the country’s sports.
“As an athlete, I wish to see a successful Commonwealth Games in India,” Usha said.
“It will energise our sports. So, the efforts must be made on war-footing for the smooth functioning of the games,” Usha added.
- Sports ministry forms committee for venue management - Feb 05, 2011
- Stadiums will be ready for Commonwealth Games: Kalmadi - Feb 25, 2009
- Commonwealth Games sports facilities would be fully utilized, assures Ajay Maken - Feb 05, 2011
- MPs panel says Delhi is not ready for Commonwealth Games - Feb 24, 2009
- Cameron says National Stadium 'world class' - Jul 29, 2010
- Delhi has a long way to go for Commonwealth Games (Lead) - Feb 24, 2009
- Britain can't force sportsperson to participate in CWG: Sports secretary - Jul 28, 2010
- Commonwealth Games trial events pushed to 2010 August - Feb 24, 2009
- National Stadium is 'world class': Cameron (Lead) - Jul 29, 2010
- Sports ministry opens CWG venues to the public - Apr 15, 2011
- CWG stadia witnesses rainwater seepage on inauguration day - Aug 01, 2010
- No Games inaugural invite for P.T. Usha - Oct 03, 2010
- P.T. Usha upset at not being invited to Games opening ceremony - Oct 02, 2010
- Gill happy with Games projects' pace, Delhi minister worried (Lead) - Jul 28, 2010
- Come-and-Play scheme has 10,000 on its rolls - Sep 06, 2011