War erupts in Kashmir’s BJP unitMay 31st, 2011 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 31 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is at war with itself in Jammu and Kashmir.
Former BJP legislature party leader Chaman Lal Gupta, one of seven legislators suspended for cross-voting in the April 13 legislative council elections, has hit back.
On Tuesday, he issued disqualification notice to four party colleagues who had been exonerated by the party in April.
Gupta, while reiterating that he still headed the legislature party, issued the notices to Ashok Khajuria, Sham Choudhary, Sukhnandan Choudhary and Jugal Kishore Sharma.
He asked them to explain why they should not be disqualified as legislators.
This follows the request of BJP deputy legislature party leader Jugal Kishore Sharma, who urged Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone last week to disqualify Gupta and six other BJP legislators.
All seven had been suspended by the party for violating the party whip and voting for the National Conference-Congress coalition candidates in the legislative council elections instead of the BJP candidate.
The Jammu and Kashmir assembly has 11 members, of who only four voted for the party candidate.
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- We have not quit, BJP legislators tell Jammu and Kashmir speaker - Apr 22, 2011
- BJP issues disqualification notice to seven Kashmir legislators - May 24, 2011
- Kashmir's suspended BJP legislators may form own group - May 21, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir BJP legislator opposes action against him - May 08, 2011
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta - Jun 01, 2011
- Kashmir's suspended BJP legislators defy leadership - May 19, 2011
- BJP disqualifies six MLAs for cross-voting - Nov 18, 2011
- BJP expels six Jammu and Kashmir legislators - Oct 09, 2011
- BJP suspends seven Kashmir legislators for cross-voting (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- 'Cancel assembly memberships of expelled BJP legislators' - Feb 19, 2012
- Expelled Jammu and Kashmir legislators to support Sangma - Jul 15, 2012
- Kashmir Congress elated as panchayat candidates win - May 18, 2011
- Kashmir BJP workers protest against party legislator - Apr 14, 2011
- BJP to probe cross-voting in legislative council polls - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: ashok, bharatiya janata party, bjp candidate, chaman, congress, gupta, kashmir, kishore, lal, legislative council elections, legislators, mohammad akbar, party candidate, party colleagues, party leader, party whip, sham