Wanted man shot dead in gunbattle with Ghaziabad policeMay 16th, 2009 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, May 16 (IANS) A man wanted in over 25 criminal cases was shot dead here in a gunbattle with police early Saturday, officials said.
“At around 4.00 a.m. three men in a car were going towards the Aradhna cinema area of Ghaziabad. When at a checkpost, policemen asked them to stop, they opened fire at the policemen,” Senior Superintendent of Police Akhil Kumar said.
“The policemen returned fire and one of the men sustained gunshot injuries. The other two men managed to escape under the cover of darkness,” Kumar added.
The injured criminal was taken to the hospital, where he was declared dead. From the documents found in his possession he has been identified as Virendra Sharma alias Pappu.
Sharma was wanted by Meerut police in over 25 cases. There was also a reward of Rs.40,000 for his arrest, police said.
- Wanted man shot dead in Ghaziabad - Jun 12, 2009
- Wanted criminal shot dead in Ghaziabad - Jun 06, 2009
- Reward announced for capture of escaped convict - Jun 20, 2011
- Criminal carrying Rs.50,000 reward killed in Noida - Apr 12, 2010
- Police check-post set ablaze protesting man's killing - Dec 31, 2011
- Gangster arrested in Ghaziabad - Nov 02, 2010
- Curfew relaxed in violence-hit Ghaziabad area - Sep 17, 2012
- Criminal gunned down in Ghaziabad - Apr 24, 2010
- Cops gun down wanted criminal in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 28, 2011
- 19 cops given life in staged shootout case after 20 years - Mar 29, 2012
- Police gun down five robbers in Chennai (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Cancer victim rescued from kidnappers - Oct 22, 2011
- Man shot in suspected honour killing in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 02, 2012
- 10 cops suspended for 'accidentally' killing man in Ghaziabad (Lead) - Nov 17, 2009
- Gangster carrying Rs.1 lakh reward killed - Oct 28, 2011