Voting starts in Goa (Lead)March 3rd, 2012 - 10:50 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 3 (IANS) Polling for the single phase Goa assembly elections for 40 assembly seats began here Saturday morning.
The electorate numbering 1,026,306 - men 511,111 and women 515,195 - will seal the fate of 215 candidates, including nine women candidates.
The voters will exercise their franchise in two districts of Goa — north Goa accounting for 23 assembly segments and south Goa for 17 assembly segments.
The main contest is between the ruling Congress-Nationalist Congress Party alliance and the Bharatiya Janata Party-Maharashtrwadi Gomantak Party alliance. The Trinamool Congress, a new entrant in Goa’s political canvas, has fielded 20 candidates.
Other parties like the Samajwadi Party, the Samajwadi Janata Party, the Republican Party of India and the Janata Dal-Secular are also contesting, along with regional parties like the Goa Vikas Party and the United Goan Democratic party (UGDP).
Civil society have come together under the banner of the Zagrut Goenkarancho
Ekvott (ZGE) and fielded 10 candidates for the elections.
Ballotting will be spread across 1,612 polling stations, and several units of para military forces have been deployed for security.
The assembly constituency with maximum number of candidates is Vasco-da-Gama.
Votes will be counted March 6.
- 20 percent voting in first few hours in Goa (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Polling begins in Goa - Mar 03, 2012
- Over 42 percent voting in Goa (Third Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Counting begins in Goa - Mar 06, 2012
- Goa assembly polls - Facts at a glance - Mar 02, 2012
- Congress faces BJP charge in Goa (Goa Curtainraiser) - Mar 02, 2012
- 75 percent voting in Goa (Fourth Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Civil society groups field four candidates in Goa polls - Jan 10, 2012
- NGOs, opposition join chorus against Goa poll officials' silence - Jan 20, 2012
- Goa priest makes debut on election altar - Jan 12, 2012
- Congress claim whittles, BJP coy over seats - Mar 02, 2012
- Polling reaches 60 percent in Goa - Mar 03, 2012
- No woman candidate: Goa BJP says sorry - Feb 19, 2012
- Trinamool in Goa like mushroom in monsoon: Congress - Feb 13, 2012
- BJP announces poll alliance with MGP in Goa - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: assembly seats, bharatiya janata party, constituency, electorate, goa assembly elections, goan, gomantak, maximum number, military forces, nationalist congress party, north goa, party alliance, polling stations, regional parties, Samajwadi Party, south goa, trinamool congress, vasco da gama, vikas, zge