Volunteers make huge Palestinian flagMay 24th, 2008 - 12:53 pm ICT by admin
Damascus, May 24 (DPA) A group of Palestinian and Syrian volunteers completed a 27,900 sq mt Palestinian flag in an effort to enter the Guinness World Records. “The completion of this project is a symbolic message to the solidarity of all Palestinians,” Tareq Hamouda, head of the Palestinian Group for Return (WAJEB) , said Friday .
The flag, which is proportional to the square kilometres of Palestine was shown in a square in al-Zahera district near Damascus. The idea for the flag was initiated by Palestinian activists in the West Bank.
This year, Palestinians mark 60 years after the Naqba (Day of Tragedy), when Israel was founded in 1948.
Jewish leaders in Palestine proclaimed the State of Israel on May 14, 1948, one day before the formal end of the British mandate. Six Arab armies invaded the nascent state on May 15, sparking the first Arab-Israeli war.
The war ended in 1949, with Israel controlling 50 percent more territory than had been allocated to it by the United Nations, and Palestinians stayed under Jordanian control in the West Bank and Egyptian control in the Gaza Strip.
At least 726,000 Palestinians became refugees, having fled from their homes or having been evicted by Jewish forces.
- 12 Arabs killed for violating Golan Heights truce line - Jun 05, 2011
- Gaza stops Palestinians from approaching Israel border - Jun 05, 2011
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
- American Artists Communicate Their Support For The Israeli Actors, Who Refused To Perform In The Occupied West Bank - Sep 06, 2010
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Palestinians seek political, financial support from Baghdad Arab summit - Mar 26, 2012
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Abbas suspends peace talks - Oct 02, 2010
- Palestinians organise local marathon to reject Israeli one - Mar 19, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Obama 'backed out of land promise to Palestinians' - Jan 25, 2011
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israel to demolish all illegal West Bank outposts by end of year - Mar 08, 2011