Vivekanada only icon for both RSS, Communists: Jaipal ReddyJanuary 12th, 2011 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 12 (IANS) Swami Vivekananda is the only icon of modern India avowed ardently by both the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and the communists, Urban Development Minister S. Jaipal Reddy said Wednesday.Speaking at a function held to mark 148th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananada, Reddy described the great seer and scholar as a global humanist far beyond his time.
Vivekananda was a multi-dimensional personality, but was being perceived and presented as “a uni-dimensional personality”, the minister said while addressing the inaugural session of the National Congress on Building New India through Excellence in Education.
Referring to Vivekananda’s acclaimed address to the Parliament of World’s Religions in 1893 in Chicago, Reddy said that the seer spoke of India’s past glory, hoary history and also of a collective global future.
Reddy said that Vivekananada had “an inexhaustible fountain of progressive imagination that we tend to ignore.”
“He was perhaps only one icon of modern India avowed ardently by both the RSS and the communists,” Reddy said.
The minister recalled how late communist leader E.M.S. Namboodiripad regarded Vivekananada as an icon and thought that he condemned the institution of caste more severely than anybody else.
Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman K. Rahman Khan said Vivekananda’s message had universal appeal and far-reaching relevance.
The two-day conference has been organised by Ramakrishna-Vivekananda International Foundation.
Swami Vivekananda, a major force in spreading Hindu ideology at global level while also spreading inter-faith awareness, was born in Kolkata Jan 12, 1863. His speech at the Chicago Parliament of the World’s Religions that began with the address “Sisters and Brothers of America” inspired people across the world.
Vivekananda’s birth anniversary is also observed as National Youth Day.
- Vivekananda was a 'Hindu-Leftist': Jaipal Reddy (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Tripura to mark Vivekananda's 150th birth anniversary - Jan 01, 2012
- Mukherjee to visit Chicago to sell India growth story - Jan 27, 2012
- PM assures full co-operation to Ramakrishna Mission - Jan 12, 2011
- Science merges with art in laser tribute to Vivekananda - Aug 22, 2012
- PM to launch Swami Vivekananda's 150th birth anniversary celebrations - Jan 12, 2011
- India on World Heritage Committee for 4 years - Nov 11, 2011
- Of legends and stars: Mamata, Hillary discuss Tagore, SRK - May 07, 2012
- Indian CEO spreads message of insurance and Vivekananda in Nepal (Feature) - Feb 18, 2010
- Chicago Art Institute revives its India link - Jan 21, 2011
- Swami Vivekananda was fond of dal, American ice-cream: New biography - Apr 04, 2011
- Budget remembers Tagore, award to be instituted - Feb 28, 2011
- Vivekananda movement grows in Nepal on 148th anniversary - Jan 11, 2011
- Ramakrishna Paramahansa's 175th birth anniversary celebrated - Mar 06, 2011
- Indian artist seeks dialogue on faith in age of terror (With Images) - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: birth anniversary, communist leader, communists, deputy chairman, development minister, excellence in education, global level, humanist, inaugural session, international foundation, jaipal reddy, modern india, national congress, national youth day, new india, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, sabha, seer, sisters and brothers, universal appeal