Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader, four others shot deadAugust 24th, 2008 - 1:12 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Aug 23 (IANS) At least five people, including a top leader of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP), were shot dead in an ashram in Orissa’s Kandhamal district by an armed group during Janmashtami festival celebrations Saturday, the police said.Over 20 armed people attacked at the ashram at Jalespata village, some 340 km from here, at about 8 p.m. and started firing.
“Five persons were killed. They include Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati,” Gopal Chandra Nanda, state director general of police, told IANS.
The dead include Swami Amrutananda, a woman and a boy, he said.
The police could not confirm whether the attackers were Maoist guerrillas.
Saraswati was a senior VHP leader.
The police have clamped orders prohibiting the gathering of four or more people in the entire district.
After hearing the news of the killings, thousands of people blocked roads in several places of the state.
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- Maoists blow up ambulance, five killed (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Kandhamal people fear Maoist attack - Nov 29, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- Explosives found, blast averted in Kandhamal - Oct 19, 2011
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- 8 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 25, 2010
- 'Police didn't know Saraswati was under Maoist threat' - Sep 14, 2009
- Wife demands relief for Odisha Maoist leader - Aug 13, 2012
- Eight get jail terms for Kandhamal violence - Nov 26, 2010