Visas of Haj pilgrims from Uttar Pradesh delayedOctober 30th, 2008 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 30 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh minister and chairman of state Haj committee Naseemuddin Siddiqui Thursday blamed the central government for delay in approval of visas for thousands of Haj aspirants from the state.”Failure of the external affairs ministry to ensure timely sanction of visas for the prospective Haj pilgrims led to cancellation of the first Haj flight scheduled to take off from Lucknow airport Thursday afternoon,” Siddiqui told a press conference here.
“This speaks volumes of the central government’s neglect and apathy towards the plight of those who were waiting to proceed for Haj by the first flight,” Siddiqui said.
He added: “Despite all my efforts I could not speak to External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, so I have written a letter to him in the hope that he will rise to the occasion and do something to save the Haj pilgrims from further harassment.”
In his letter, the Uttar Pradesh minister has sought to the draw Mukherjee’s attention to the allegedly indifferent attitude of officials of the Haj Commitee of India.
He termed a status report sent by the Haj Committee of India to the state as “misleading.”
“The report had stated that the visas for 3,000 Haj pilgrims from Uttar Pradesh would reach Lucknow by Oct 29, but even until the afternoon of Oct 30, we have received nothing with the result that all those who were scheduled to leave today were left stranded at the Haj House here,” he added.
- UP to wrap up arrangements for Haj pilgrims by Sep 11 - Sep 03, 2012
- Expedite passports for Haj pilgrims, UP urges centre - Apr 11, 2012
- Raise UP's quota of Haj pilgrims: Akhilesh - Jun 21, 2012
- UP lodges cases against 176 fraudulent Haj applicants - Jul 09, 2012
- UP wants centre to increase Haj quota - May 15, 2012
- Haj subsidy to end in 10 years, rules Supreme Court (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- Three Indian Haj pilgrims die - Oct 07, 2011
- First batches of Haj pilgrims leave, visa trouble for some (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2008
- Haj pilgrims block highway in Lucknow over minister's remarks - Nov 01, 2008
- Reduction in Haj subsidy politically motivated: state minister - Oct 20, 2009
- First flight of Haj pilgrims arrives in Srinagar - Nov 30, 2011
- After 4 years, fly Srinagar-Jeddah this Haj - Sep 12, 2012
- Mayawati's key confidante under Lokayukta's scanner - Dec 13, 2011
- Mayawati rules out CBI probe against trusted minister - Feb 27, 2012
- VIP quota for Haj pilgrimage cut by apex court (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012